1880s Coin Purse Found

HistoryFinder89

Elite Member
Yesterday I went to one of the most hunted parks in my area, the games were on, the weather was chilly, so I just about had the place to myself. I got a 1-30 signal on the E-trac, the are quite a few of these signals around this park, they are usually old wine or liquor caps made of aluminum. That's probably why this wasn't dug by all the old timers. I dug the rotted out coin purse first, and at first I thought it was a piece of garbage, so I threw it in with my trash and was ready to move on. I stood up, and it's a good thing I swung over the plug because all the coins were lying on top of the ground, they had fallen out while recovering the coin purse. 5 coins in total. Two Seated quarters 1877 S, 1857, two Seated dimes 1843, 1877 CC and an 1882 Shield Nickel. That should date this purse right around the 1880s, when it was dropped. Awesome day!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,500
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2,483
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,501
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2,500
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,504
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,490
Great job! This is why I call western ny the land of the seated! There was serious money around certain places in the mid/late 1800s!

I'm green with envy ! Found plenty of pocket spills, but never a bonafide coin-purse !

Long time no post HF. Good to see your still at it. OUTSTANDING ! Atteboy and congrats on a once in lifetime find/spill. You always post some great finds but really out did yourself on this one. Good luck, Mark

Holy carp!!!!!! What a find! :wow: I can't even imagine that spill. Beautiful. I see a four leaf clover in that pic too :lol: There's one there, even if I don't really!

Wow that's an incredible find!! To find an 1800 purse with silver coins!? Once in a life time. Also, that dime is a CC making it even better. Congratulations

Wow! That is a dream find for any detectorist. Like others, I'm envious, but in the best way. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing. Hope your finds just keep getting better.

Back
Top Bottom