• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Colonial haul....plus other stuff, many pictures

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
I have been out in training for some work related things the last couple of weeks, but the lucky thing was it put me near a friends property that I was able to research some colonial maps for. I wont give too much away, but the property is riverside outside of Richmond and had a fair amount of Revolutionary, Civ, and normal Colonial activity. I don't have too many good in-dirt pictures due to lack of light in the woods during the evening, but I tried for a couple.

After several days of research and a good starting spot, the three of us spent every day after training out searching for these finds. Without typing too many boring details...and not giving my new favorite spot away... I will say we found great stuff, some trash, a got rained on, snapped my Detect'd Shaft when I fell on it, built a new shaft at Lowe's with conduit, kept going, and got rained on again :lol: .

All in all (I know I am forgetting things), over 40 flat buttons found, 4 pieces of silver dated between 1600-1808, 3 Virginia Half Pennies (1773), a Liberty Cap Half Cent (small head facing right ~1790s), 1810 Large Cent, a cannon ball, 1865 2 Cent, 1936 Roosevelt Token, 4 wheaties, a merc dime, War of 1812 "3rd Regiment of Rifleman" button, a nice button with wool/cotton thread still in the loop (3rd lifetime total), a large flat button with gold design (no ID yet), 5 total thimbles with the group, early bottle with glass soldered ring and rough cut neck, and a carved lead bullet "fish".

I'll add some more comments to some of the pictures, but thanks in advance for looking! Soon I'll should have the cannon ball rendered safe and cleaned up, so that will get updated eventually.

Thimble hiding in the dirt

1773 Virginia Half Penny

Cannon Ball

Thimble

Cut 2 Reale

Another Cut 2 Reale

1773 Virginia Half Penny

Tiiiiiiny Cob, about the size of my pinky nail

Cut 2 Reale ~1808

1865 2 Cent

My portion of finds

Lead fish

Need ID on this button, the "vase" has what looks like palm fronds draping out the top, hard to see in photos

My custom Lowe's conduit shaft

Gilted button, button with wool/cotton thread, and the 3rd Regiment of Rifleman Button (1814-15)

Lot with wheat pennies also found

Old bottle with rough cut opening, glass lip, and melted glass "solder" holding the lip on

1810 Large Cent

3rd Regiment of Rifleman again

One of my favorites of the weekend, a 1612ish "Coin of Cleves", German, Coin

Small sword/gun hilt cap.

Thanks for looking, it was definitely a busy couple of weeks!

Luv those in-situ location shots. And the group shot results show that you have touched about the earliest history someone can hope to attain ! Great post and great pix ! Thanx for sharing.

Holy smokes Emu, y'all tore it up. Loving that 3rd Regt button, but many nice finds.

Wow!!!! Those are some excellent finds. Big congratulations. Your shaft fix is hilarious !! If its conduit you might as well send the coil wire through it :)

:shock: what a site! Very cool to find and research a spot like that. Just incredible. I am quite jealous. Keep that honey hole for sure. I would grid that off and swing tight. GL! :shock:

Wow!!!! Those are some excellent finds. Big congratulations. Your shaft fix is hilarious !! If its conduit you might as well send the coil wire through it :)

Thanks! Haha. It was actually the fix #2. At first I ran a plastic rod through the broken shaft and glued it in place. Like 5 minutes into the next hunt the glue came apart and I had a two piece detector for a couple hours. My replacement is on the way already!

i think that button is a shield with probably an eagle on it. looks early American

I kind of thought that at first. I'm almost afraid to clean the top half. But the branches could be a draped wing, or what's left of an outline.

You can kind of see it better here, I tried to add a drawing of what I'm seeing in person

thats a better pix. well it looks like the 3 top point shield, federal stuff, but the bottom looks like a base for a cup or trophy. and i see the wings of feathers maybe or branches? its old old old looking.

another angle would be a European crest maybe?

you know folks like me wont never stop looking for an ID. lolololol...

it resembles the early colonial military of US. not fancy like the British.

will keep looking.

does it have any backmark?

thats a better pix. well it looks like the 3 top point shield, federal stuff, but the bottom looks like a base for a cup or trophy. and i see the wings of feathers maybe or branches? its old old old looking.

another angle would be a European crest maybe?

you know folks like me wont never stop looking for an ID. lolololol...

it resembles the early colonial military of US. not fancy like the British.

will keep looking.

does it have any backmark?

Cleaned it up a bit more, this is it's last good look before the gold started coming off, so I stopped. But there's a tiny bird on top of the shield thing in the middle and either branches or a larger bird over it. Of course the most stubborn corrosion is blocking what I wanted to see and I now lost some gold :no:

That 3rd regiment button is awesome! Hope you figure out the mystery bird button, thats pretty cool too

Back
Top Bottom