My First Crota and Spur (many henry shells too)

MTJosh

Elite Member
Obtained access to 20 acres that has been in use since 1870/80's. That is old in Montana. MT only had 40k people in 1880. Hit it friday for 3 hours and saturday another 3. Found my first ever crota bell(well half of one). Also my first ever spur. Cheaper cast type but still cool. In bend of the creek started getting a few Henry shells. Then some old 50-70 shells. Then by old barn (still in use) many shells. Guessing they did target practice. I more than doubled my previous total of henry shells from this hunt. Many old 1860-1880 shells. Even shotgun shells were mostly 1890-1915. Not a single coin but ranchers had little money back then. I will be back to look for more.
On way home got access to already hit yard. But lucky with sem key date 1910-S wheat.

Attachments

• crota and spur.jpg
    crota and spur.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 331
  • old shells.jpg
    old shells.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 1910 S.jpg
    1910 S.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I like the spur. Welcome to the exclusive and elite "wild wild west spur club" :cool:

A spur would definitely be on my bucket list as well and that 1910S is in wonderful shape for having been in the ground.

Thanks for all the comments.

Mike - unfortunately Montana is over one million people now. so many people moving here last few years.

Plan to go back to detect again soon. But record heat this week makes it tough, Should be getting first snow. Instead temps to 85 this week.

Here is some of the fun times detecting pastures. Local horse wants a treat and followed me around for a while. Tough detecting when horse is sniffing your coil. Also reason most items bent and crushed. 150 years of livestock stepping on the items.

Attachments

• horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 211
Nice finds and congrats on the crotal bell. They fairly common back east. It seems you had a helper just like I did 2 weeks ago.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 206
That is some cool stuff. Looks like you found a good spot. I am still looking for a crotal bell, and yes Montana has over a million people now. 900K of them moved here from California over the last 10 years. :mad:

Very nice Josh! Cool finds, congrats on that Crotal Bell and the spur! Just back from Indiana will post story later today I hope.

Back
Top Bottom