• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

plastic dipping garrett pro pointer at

drjoeshmoe

Just got a new pro pointer at.
I seen discussion of people putting rubber over the tip to prolong the life.
I was thinking of buying some plastic dip they sell at harbor freight and dipping.
Has anyone used that stuff or tried this method? I would assume it would peel right off if it did not work well?
Joe

Just curious....were you able to find orange dip, or did you use another color?
Also, did you notice any loss of range after the dip?

I spayed the end of my Propointer with bed liner like some use on their coils. It is a lot stronger than plastic dip and in the four years since I did it, I haven't seen any wear. Just be careful what kind you get because some has metal in it. Get the kind that doesn't.

Thanks again for the help,
I went to oriley auto parts and got some dupli-color bed armor,....then got home and did a little more looking, found a youtube video where the guy said not to use this kind, it contains metal flakes and will make a paper weight out of your coil....
So I got scared and returned it, only to receive a reply from another viewer saying they contacted the company and they use no metal.

I ended up buying Rust-oleum bed liner, they had the original, and the "Professional grade",....I went with professional.
I sprayed some on cardboard and tested with my pro-pointer first....good enough.
I put 2 layers on my pro-pointer AT and my Whites Prizm 3 coil...so far it's looking great.
Joe

Besides protecting the pointer from scratches using a bright color yellow or orange helps to locate the pointer when dropped or left on the ground.

I originally planned on trying to find an orange plastic dip...
More than half of my pinpointer is still bright orange....good enough for my eyes.

I originally planned on trying to find an orange plastic dip...
More than half of my pinpointer is still bright orange....good enough for my eyes.

I have the old Propointer which is black. i just wrapped some orange duct tape around it to make it easier to see if I drop it.
ProPointer2.jpg

I recommend a true pin pointer tip protector. I've done the dips, tapes, and other stuff, and they just don't hold up as well. Plus they're more expensive.

Disclaimer here is that I SELL them. You can find them on eBay, 3 for 8 bucks. You'll probably never wear through one of them. But, I have a backup pin pointer, like many folks. and I give three because then you can give one away. :) Cheaper than a can of dip, and far more durable.

I've had a tip on my pinpointer now for over 1000 hours of MDing, and it barely looks like it's used. Seriously. They're durable. :)

Cheers,

Skippy

I could not find 3 for $8 but did find 3 for $9 on Ebay. Are these the ones that you sell?

Plastic or rubber chair tip and electrical tape for me. I like being able to undo it if I ever want to sell it. I do wear them down and have to replace them though.

BCD

Just bought a set, thanks!

I saw that. You were up late! Packaged it up and placed it into the mailbox before I left for work this morning. Given your location, there's a 50/50 chance it'll make it to you on Saturday, and a 100% by Monday.

Be sure to clean the tip before putting it on (it'll stretch slightly as it goes over the blade), and you'll probably never have to take it off. I actually pulled mine off to give to someone I met in the field, but it had been on for almost a year at that point. Still looked practically new. The material holds up fantastically well. The slightly soft feel actually results in better wear than a solid material. I've been super happy with this material, and the only complaint I had from the nearly 500 customers who've purchased them is from a guy who simply wanted me to refund him and still keep the product. I told him "no" and he left negative feedback. LOL Ah well... can't please them all. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

I used the plastidip. It will wear in time so every year or so I would peel it off and redip. The plastidip can be thinned even after sitting for a year or more

Back
Top Bottom