3D compadre.....3 disc circuits

I didnt use the momentary switch either. Makes it nice if you want to flick it into zinc and above for a bit.
As far as the trimmers i didnt have any problems. You can check the trimmer with a meter befire you sokder it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TZ- I'm curious if you, or anyone else who's done the 3D Mod have tried fitting the switch in the handle, under the control box?

I was looking at mine, and would prefer to have it there, same as the PP switch I put in the Cibola when I did the GB Mod.

I won't know until I have the switch in hand, but from the dimensions on Mousers site, it's going to be close. I'm sure I would have to slightly enlarge the existing/factory hole in the handle under the control box.

Main reason for my choice is helping to keep dirt out of it. I often hunt early, when the dew is still on the grass, so a bit of slightly muddy hands can't be avoided.

Ever seen it done?

ETA: I think it will work. I had a similar sized switch, had to slightly enlarge the existing 1/2" hole, basically just squaring the corners. Once I get the correct switch, and verify it will fit, I'll snag a couple pics.

Last edited:
I thought about it when i did mine but chickened out. If i do another it will definitely go in the handle!

I thought about it when i did mine but chickened out. If i do another it will definitely go in the handle!

lol, I'll be the guinea pig :lol:

I already added a volume control in the lower right corner of the face. I've got a buddy about ready to give detecting a try, so I was gonna put him on the Compadre, and it'd be much easier with neither wearing 'phones, but not listening to full-volume of the speaker either.

Hoping parts arrive tomorrow.

Well, no parts until tomorrow.

Pics of handle, under control box I enlarged opening for switch. I haven't drilled the through hole for the toggle yet, until I determine it will fit. If you look you'll see a pencil line between the hole and grip, that's the front edge of control box, so plenty of room on bottom of box to drill for switch wiring to pass through, wherever that works out best.

picture.php

And since I basically squared the round hole already in the handle, there wasn't enough material removed to weaken the handle any.

picture.php

Just a note, I'd pulled the plug from the end of the handle (which would be under your elbow), and used compressed air to blow any filings from the coil end of the handle, out the unplugged end, to keep filings out of shaft lock.

Im thinking my next project will be adding one extra disc circuit to my mojave. Full size pot mounted on the face with the toggle underneath. Mini Tejon. Keep us posted on your progress.

Got 'er done today, more pics in my Tesoro Users Social Group (in my profile) for anyone interested. Knob on right is speaker volume.

No issues with switch in handle.

FYI- Also, the switches I received (parts listed in above) ARE in fact momentary, so that was a nice surprise because I couldn't find them listed :lol:

ETA- Another FYI, red toggle boot wasn't included with switches, I just happen to have them.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I tried my new to me Compadre and it needs a sensitivity adjustment, knob. Has that been done?

Interesting read, thanks. As a ham I do like to tinker, have built my share of stuff in the past and sometimes I amaze myself by fixing something I know very little about.

Grand daughter had a big screen TV with those surface mount IC's which was totally new to me. Thanks to google search I found which ones to replace, OMG are those things are small. But purchased those and the required hot air soldering tool & solder/ paste mix. Believe it or not the darn thing worked... the TV that is. GD very happy.

After I posted I did find some info on adding the sensitivity pot to the Compadre Thanks again

Awesome builds here, I really like all the details and just the thought of modding the baseline detector in to something special...

Back
Top Bottom