do i dig iffy signals below 6 inches

potato_head

went searching an old house today found lots of 1960's-1970's coins at six inches and didnt try digging anything else deeper do u think there is silver deeper,my ace 250 with 9x12 will detect 10 inches but it jumps around between penny to dime to nickle to quarter do i dig deeper for those,since there was harly any trash,about 10 coins to 2 trash.its a 1920's home

absolutely, deep coins or coins on edge will give an iffy signal.......ya never know unless ya dig

i go over a target but it shows a certain coin go over it again and nothing it is more than 8 inches,i am new so i think it is trash cause it dont bing everytime. i got headphones so here everything

i go over a target but it shows a certain coin go over it again and nothing it is more than 8 inches,i am new so i think it is trash cause it dont bing everytime. i got headphones so here everything

hard to say could be iron could be a coin next to iron
turn 90 degrees and see what it sounds like
I use an etrac and if I try hard enough I can make a nail sound good every time:lol:
dig it up thats how you learn
good luck

hard to say could be iron could be a coin next to iron
turn 90 degrees and see what it sounds like
I use an etrac and if I try hard enough I can make a nail sound good every time:lol:
dig it up thats how you learn
good luck

i will i am new this is my first house i dug with permision i got a rubber mat out of my car to put the dirt on so i dont make a mess easy to put dirt back and cut about a 6 inch plug so it looks nice when i put it back if i go deeper i need to cut a bigger plug right

Pretty sure on most machines, the accuracy of the ID fades with depth. Think there would be some interesting items to be found, other than simply coins. Should dig what you feel comfortable with. You obviously don't want dig too many holes close together.

Listen bud... there isn't a detector out there that can ID correctly as deep as it can see an item. As the depth on the item increases the detectors ID of it drops further down the scale until at the very edge of its detecting range it reads as close to iron as it gets without it showing as such.

Do this...next time you get a signal that shows deep but reads as low on the ID scale but not iron...Take a plug out of about 4 inches deep and rescan the hole....if the ID jumps way up higher than it had been reading.....DIG IT!!!

DO NOT RELY ON THOSE METERS

You'll come to see that THAT is a true statement.

HH and Good Luck
Gary

I would say to dig enough of them to get a feel for what the machine is telling you. Either reinforce the "dig response" or let you learn the probability of what the target is or might be.

Dug a 8 inch "tab/nickel" silver dime. Was VERY surprised, but the tone was high unlike the VDI

When I metal detect I repeat this in my head over and over again: "I am here to dig targets not skip them."

I sure do! One thing I'll do is dig a wide shallow plug and flip it over and re scan the hole.

Lots of times this is enough to clear up the signal and show what it really is.

I learned that trick water hunting, works in the field just fine too.

Good Luck and HH!

Back
Top Bottom