Accessing Old Properties

Aberdumbie

I am sure this has been discussed here. I am new though and unable to locate any threads that cover this so I apologize if I am trodding well worn ground here.

I live in an area with a lot of old properties. I can walk to three dilapidated properties from my front door. One is no more than a chimney remnant. I watch over the years as these properties fall one after the other to new grocery stores and the like. I am just dying inside to go detect these properties before they are lost to progress. How does one go about locating the property owner to request permission to detect? I am tempted to just go and do it as I know that the properties aren't cared for by anyone. Problem is, I am old now and the prospect of being arrested at my age isn't very appealing.

County tax assessor maps. Or maps from the county engineers office.
There's an app called Onxhunt with maps and owner's names.

As soon as the huge corporation buys a property for development I hit it until it's fenced or posted or someone runs me off. I won't trespass small business or private owners without permission, but if walmart or dollar general buys the property I'm on it.

. Problem is, I am old now and the prospect of being arrested at my age isn't very appealing.

Ahhh but you can use that to your advantage! "Sorry officer...what is your name? I'm not supposed to be here? I swear this is where so and so gave me permission. You will have to forgive me my memory is failing in my older years he must of meant the grocery store on the other side of town..... sorry what was you name again officer?"
:laughing: you see us younger unaware folks start to feel bad, and will let you off the hook. Heck if you play it well enough they may even help you gather your stuff and even load it into your car for ya!:laughing:

Ahhh but you can use that to your advantage! "Sorry officer...what is your name? I'm not supposed to be here? I swear this is where so and so gave me permission. You will have to forgive me my memory is failing in my older years he must of meant the grocery store on the other side of town..... sorry what was you name again officer?"
:laughing: you see us younger unaware folks start to feel bad, and will let you off the hook. Heck if you play it well enough they may even help you gather your stuff and even load it into your car for ya!:laughing:

That gave me a laugh. I have used just such an approach to lighten the tension when I was caught speeding.... And was not ticketed for it either! I can totally play the country bumpkin from Mayberry role. I believe I will employ it. Thanks!

That gave me a laugh. I have used just such an approach to lighten the tension when I was caught speeding.... And was not ticketed for it either! I can totally play the country bumpkin from Mayberry role. I believe I will employ it. Thanks!

can't wait till I can pull that. figure I got another 30 years before I can even think about it. :lol:

County tag gis maps will give you all the owner info you need and when the home was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, this is a repeating theme: Someone has spots in mind, that are so benign and innocuous, that they can just walk right to them. To look around , and sometimes even taking & posting pix of them (cellar holes, etc...) :

.... I can walk to three dilapidated properties from my front door. One is no more than a chimney remnant. I watch over the years as these properties fall one after the other to new grocery stores and the like......

And the repeating theme is, that no one sees the irony that they are apparently standing right there (to take those pix, etc...) in the first place. Ie: if it's a question of "access", then ... how are they even there, in the first place ?

.... the prospect of being arrested ....

And no one will wonder "uh ... gee, doesn't seem like you were arrested when you were already there." :?:

Are you sure you're really not Mudpuppy? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom