Magnet Fishing

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
Last edited:
I too am In the market for a neodymium magnet for magnet fishing. I hear brute magnets makes some good ones.They have double sided ones.

Get a stronger magnet; say one rated in the 300 range. Also use stronger rope, eg 1/2" nylon.
Never go cheap on the initial setup for a hobby if youre sure you will keep at it.

Thanks for the Replies...

I too am In the market for a neodymium magnet for magnet fishing. I hear brute magnets makes some good ones.They have double sided ones.
Thanks for the suggestions! :D I checked them out and they look great, but they are currently a little more than I want to spend. :D Hope you find a good setup for yourself and that we both find some good stuff in the water. :fishin:

Just keep your wits about you, this father and son paid the ultimate price (drowned apparently)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...river-calder-west-yorkshire-a8404026.html?amp
Appreciate your thoughtfulness, I read the article and I will be very careful. Thanks. :yes:

Some good info there, thanks. :yes:

Get a stronger magnet; say one rated in the 300 range. Also use stronger rope, eg 1/2" nylon.
Never go cheap on the initial setup for a hobby if youre sure you will keep at it.
Thanks for your input. :D A couple weeks ago at Menards I tried pulling a 150 pound magnet off of a large, heavy duty chain cutter, it stayed on strong and I could just barely slide it off, so I don't want anything stronger. :)

"Thanks for your input. A couple weeks ago at Menards I tried pulling a 150 pound magnet off of a large, heavy duty chain cutter, it stayed on strong and I could just barely slide it off, so I don't want anything stronger."

Mr. Wolf, The 150 will work as long as it is clean. Put it in the bottom of the lake environment where it collects small debris and it very quickly looses its hookup ability. I started with the 240 magnets and very quickly moved up to the 300 plus units. You must clean your magnet every time prior to throwing it back out, in order to maintain the hookup ability. View a few of the U tube videos and watch how easy it is to remove the find from the magnet once it is retrieved.

Thanks for the Reply...

Mr. Wolf, The 150 will work as long as it is clean. Put it in the bottom of the lake environment where it collects small debris and it very quickly looses its hookup ability. I started with the 240 magnets and very quickly moved up to the 300 plus units. You must clean your magnet every time prior to throwing it back out, in order to maintain the hookup ability. View a few of the U tube videos and watch how easy it is to remove the find from the magnet once it is retrieved.

Thank you, bowwinkles. :D I was already planning on frequently cleaning my magnet, so I guess I'll just make sure I do it before each throw. :grin:

So I've found another hobby that I think will go right along with MDing. :D :fishin:

I'm looking to buy a setup preferably under (or a little over) $20. :grin: Here is what I'm currently leaning towards:

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. :yes:

If you have any tips or experiences to share, they're always welcome as well! God bless. :boat:
Instead of paracord, you will want a fatter rope, that you can pull hard with your hands. I always liked 1/2 inch thick rope for boat anchors, so If your magnet is strong(100's of lbs) think about diameter too.

Here's something to think about, as far as pulling power of your magnet. Those magnets are rated for their power, with the entire magnet stuck to a flat, iron or steel surface. How many times do you suppose that's actually going to happen? Sure, if there was a car, or old piece of equipment in the bottom of that old quarry that you're fishing in, you might lose a magnet. From a practical viewpoint, there's very few times that you're actually going to have all of the magnet stuck to a flat surface that you can't pull up.

It's one of the risks of the hobby.

Roger

Here's something to think about, as far as pulling power of your magnet. Those magnets are rated for their power, with the entire magnet stuck to a flat, iron or steel surface. How many times do you suppose that's actually going to happen? Sure, if there was a car, or old piece of equipment in the bottom of that old quarry that you're fishing in, you might lose a magnet. From a practical viewpoint, there's very few times that you're actually going to have all of the magnet stuck to a flat surface that you can't pull up.

Roger

Exactly. Also when retrieving, walk along the bank to get different pulling angles for those stuck magnets. Works wonders.

I really cant stress enough that you wont be happy with a weaker magnet and smaller rope. Unless its a setup for a kid or something.
Good Luck!

When you finish the day and are home, take your hose nozzle and spray down your magnet and rope and then dry the magnet and apply a good liquid car wax/cleaner and you will be ready for next time. do not store your magnet touching the wet rope you just cleaned. The good poly ropes like from home depot are fine for what we do. They do not take on water like para cord.

Instead of paracord, you will want a fatter rope, that you can pull hard with your hands. I always liked 1/2 inch thick rope for boat anchors, so If your magnet is strong(100's of lbs) think about diameter too.
Thanks, I was going to do thicker rope, but I can't find it cheaper than double the price of the paracord. :shrug:

Roger
Thanks, good point. :good:

Exactly. Also when retrieving, walk along the bank to get different pulling angles for those stuck magnets. Works wonders.

I really cant stress enough that you wont be happy with a weaker magnet and smaller rope. Unless its a setup for a kid or something.
Good Luck!
Thanks KinTN. Great tip. :good: It's mainly for me, but I'll let my sister use it, too. :fishin:

When you finish the day and are home, take your hose nozzle and spray down your magnet and rope and then dry the magnet and apply a good liquid car wax/cleaner and you will be ready for next time. do not store your magnet touching the wet rope you just cleaned. The good poly ropes like from home depot are fine for what we do. They do not take on water like para cord.
Thanks bowwinkles. :D Another great tip.

Thank you, bowwinkles. :D I was already planning on frequently cleaning my magnet, so I guess I'll just make sure I do it before each throw. :grin:

Just have some cheap sandwich bags or larger to put on the magnet.
Remove the bag after pulling it in and remove bag and that will keep it clean.
Marvin
PS, I even use plastic on the smaller shop magnets to keep them clean. Store your magnets with plastic on them and they will be clean when you are ready to use them.

I do it.. It is interesting and fun but most of the good stuff I have found(knives, tools and such) are rusted beyond use. A friend who got me into it has found some good stuff.

I do clean (wipe off with my gloves) the magnet face prior to throwing it back out each time it is retrieved. This is not a scrub job but just a wipe to remove the muck and small debris that has collected.

Just have some cheap sandwich bags or larger to put on the magnet.
Remove the bag after pulling it in and remove bag and that will keep it clean.
Marvin
PS, I even use plastic on the smaller shop magnets to keep them clean. Store your magnets with plastic on them and they will be clean when you are ready to use them.
That's a great tip, thanks. :good:

I do it.. It is interesting and fun but most of the good stuff I have found(knives, tools and such) are rusted beyond use. A friend who got me into it has found some good stuff.

Yeah, that's too bad. :( About the best thing that someone could find would be fishing lures, knives, and tools, and most of them will be rusty or crusted.

I do clean (wipe off with my gloves) the magnet face prior to throwing it back out each time it is retrieved. This is not a scrub job but just a wipe to remove the muck and small debris that has collected.

Yes, thanks. :D I didn't mean to sound like I would scrub it clean, but after reading my post again I guess it kind of did. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom