Relic gold

Fredneck

Got the opportunity to hunt an early colonial site that also hosted CW Soldiers at battle. Recovered a nice little gold Cavalry button.

Attachments

• forum 3.jpg
    forum 3.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 443
  • forum 4.jpg
    forum 4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 426
Nice finds! I still haven't had an eagle come up with any gilt left. That's a nice score!

Congrats, awesome button. That key is unusual with that handle. Probably went to a strong box with a heavy lock. Maybe Civil War payroll???:wow:

Congrats, awesome button. That key is unusual with that handle. Probably went to a strong box with a heavy lock. Maybe Civil War payroll???:wow:

Thanks kweis. I like that key as well, so I cleaned the iron handle.

Attachments

• forum 5.jpg
    forum 5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 278
Tinhorn said:
Yes, the hilltop where I found it was red mineralized soil. The 2 big pieces of shrapnel from a Dyer shell also came from that hilltop have very little rust.

I've dug iron buckles in northwestern Virginia in that heavy red clay over 150 years old that are still functional. Some rust yes, but amazing how well preserved the iron is in that soil. Maybe the clay keeps the h2o and o2 away from the iron?

I see your from Virginia Fred. Is your site in Virginia? Also, do you mostly hunt for Civil War relics? Looks like the hike was well worth it.

I see your from Virginia Fred. Is your site in Virginia? Also, do you mostly hunt for Civil War relics? Looks like the hike was well worth it.

Yep, and mostly CW. CW hunting has it all, great relics, great coins, and nice glass.

Back
Top Bottom