First hunt with the equinox, made someones day.

Metal detecto

Elite Member
Boy, I have a story to tell you. I was swinging with Roberta at the beach today, grinding in the wet sand. Guess the person that we passed on the highway DID have a CTX in his trunk. :lol: Not a beep. Switched to the dry sand and scored a few quarters. Hardcore beach hunters, don't be offended that I changed to dry, others are going to come. Back to the story. So a girl (high school-ish) comes up to me san says, "Hi." She tries to say something, then goes back, and comes with someone else I'm assuming is her friend. "So my friend here lost her earring right there." After I recover from my freak out when I thought she was pointing to the surf (:laughing:), I take Roberta to where she was pointing. Few sweeps, beep. Pinpoint, it's going crazy right next to a chair (plastic chair). The first scoop I see something yellow. I swear everything was a blur from then. :D

I'm just happy my time to shine came, even ended up with a dollar bill as thanks. Now I feel the urge to give some deep advice about life!

Josh

P.S. Hey GKL, now that you have my face, will you do some edits on me?

pic one.jpg

Oh boy. The "saves the day" Scuba-detector vibes rubbed off on you THAT quick ? Another Sherlock Holmes Indiana-Jones is born ! Congrats on your first commissioned posse hunt :cool3:

Oh boy. The "saves the day" Scuba-detector vibes rubbed off on you THAT quick ? Another Sherlock Holmes Indiana-Jones is born ! Congrats on your first commissioned posse hunt :cool3:

I was wondering the same thing... was it luck? I'm just happy that they were happy. I think one of them did a backflip. :lol:

Josh

P.S. GKL, if you are seeing this, I can get some better pics of me for the edits :D

Since I assume you're close to So. CA beaches, one thing you can do, is to keep an eye on Craigslist lost & found. Occasionally persons will post a "long ring" etc... ad. And sometimes even float "reward offered". That's a fun way to put the hobby to use. And sometimes folk will tip generously for that.

Also there's a directory listing called "Ring Finders";

https://theringfinders.com/

This outfit has done a great job of somehow being the top hit that anyone gets, in this day & age of the web. The persons click on an interactive map, which directs them to whichever member is closest to them. I can't recall if you have to "claim a zip code", or something like that. The system of joining is explained on their website. Maybe your area is already got others who are already there. I dunno. You could reach out to them and see if there's been enough calls , for your guys area, to merit another joining up or not.

There's a cost to get on that directory, but in the time I've been on it, the tips/pay have more than covered the cost of it. If I get contacted via that directory, and they ask "what do you charge ?", here's what I tell them : Nothing if I'm unsuccessful. And if I'm successful , then whatever tip you think is fair". But you can set whatever criteria you want.

Glad you could get out and have some fun. Already finding things for folks. That is great.

You are more than welcome to come find a phone for me tomorrow in a 36° canal.

Boy, I have a story to tell you. I was swinging with Roberta at the beach today, grinding in the wet sand. Guess the person that we passed on the highway DID have a CTX in his trunk. :lol: Not a beep. Switched to the dry sand and scored a few quarters. Hardcore beach hunters, don't be offended that I changed to dry, others are going to come. Back to the story. So a girl (high school-ish) comes up to me san says, "Hi." She tries to say something, then goes back, and comes with someone else I'm assuming is her friend. "So my friend here lost her earring right there." After I recover from my freak out when I thought she was pointing to the surf (:laughing:), I take Roberta to where she was pointing. Few sweeps, beep. Pinpoint, it's going crazy right next to a chair (plastic chair). The first scoop I see something yellow. I swear everything was a blur from then. :D

I'm just happy my time to shine came, even ended up with a dollar bill as thanks. Now I feel the urge to give some deep advice about life!

Josh

P.S. Hey GKL, now that you have my face, will you do some edits on me?

View attachment 483266

First super congrats on the recovery Josh !!!! :thumbsup:

I would be glad to include you in some of the funny edits Josh ! ......as long as you are sure it is okay with your parents, some parents are understandingly cautious about their younger children's photo being online in this day and age, but with the mask you are wearing it should make you un-identifiable enough for it to be okay.

I will wait to see your reply that you feel it should be okay, if it is, please be patient for a few days as I might not have time to make one for a couple days as I have been busier than usual, (and I am on the east coast so it is 3 hours later here than in CA) but I hope to have a funny one for you to look forward to by one day next week if it's okay !

Paging Our resident cartoonist ! :laughing:

:laughing:

Hey Tom, do I still have an ongoing okay to include you in any funny edits too ? :lol: (I think you said before that I did)

Since I assume you're close to So. CA beaches, one thing you can do, is to keep an eye on Craigslist lost & found. Occasionally persons will post a "long ring" etc... ad. And sometimes even float "reward offered". That's a fun way to put the hobby to use. And sometimes folk will tip generously for that.

Also there's a directory listing called "Ring Finders";

https://theringfinders.com/

This outfit has done a great job of somehow being the top hit that anyone gets, in this day & age of the web. The persons click on an interactive map, which directs them to whichever member is closest to them. I can't recall if you have to "claim a zip code", or something like that. The system of joining is explained on their website. Maybe your area is already got others who are already there. I dunno. You could reach out to them and see if there's been enough calls , for your guys area, to merit another joining up or not.

There's a cost to get on that directory, but in the time I've been on it, the tips/pay have more than covered the cost of it. If I get contacted via that directory, and they ask "what do you charge ?", here's what I tell them : Nothing if I'm unsuccessful. And if I'm successful , then whatever tip you think is fair". But you can set whatever criteria you want.

Thanks! I'll think about joining. Seems neat, but I think there are other people in my area, and an hour long drive to the closest beach has plenty of time for someone else to go "Lucky day!" and scoop it up. I'll check craigslist tonight.

Josh

Hey Tom, do I still have an ongoing okay to include you in any funny edits too ? :lol: (I think you said before that I did)

Well, you'll have to talk to my model agency firm. There is an hourly rate for modeling jobs that I accept. But .... for you ... I'm sure I can cut a "friends and family discount". Ok ? :cool3:

First super congrats on the recovery Josh !!!! :thumbsup:

I would be glad to include you in some of the funny edits Josh ! ......as long as you are sure it is okay with your parents, some parents are understandingly cautious about their younger children's photo being online in this day and age, but with the mask you are wearing it should make you un-identifiable enough for it to be okay.

I will wait to see your reply that you feel it should be okay, if it is, please be patient for a few days as I might not have time to make one for a couple days as I have been busier than usual, (and I am on the east coast so it is 3 hours later here than in CA) but I hope to have a funny one for you to look forward to by one day next week if it's okay !

:laughing:

It's completely fine with them, they said yes for the photo of me being included.

Excited for the edits!

Josh

Nice job on the return Detecto. Didn't you mention you were going to Korea to hunt ? So is that a Korean beach ? That looks like a promising beach to hunt. Good place to sharpen your chops ! That picture reminds me of when I 1st swung a detector , a bit younger then you. Can't wait to see your 1st Gold !

Well, you'll have to talk to my model agency firm. There is an hourly rate for modeling jobs that I accept. But .... for you ... I'm sure I can cut a "friends and family discount". Ok ? :cool3:

.....okay so unless you reply otherwise I assume since you didn't specify, it's a 100% discount and it's free to include you in any ongoing funny edits Tom ? :laughing:

It's completely fine with them, they said yes for the photo of me being included.

Excited for the edits!

Josh

That's great Josh, I'll see about you being regularly included in the funny edits thread along with the other members who gave their okay to be included, here is the thread for those who wonder what we are talking about -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258582&page=215

Please be patient for the first one, it might be sooner but might not be till about Tuesday or so, but I am glad to have you join the funny edits thread Josh as a member who wants to be included in the funny edits ! I'll try to have the first one with you in it be extra funny so it is worth the wait :lol:

Nice job on the return Detecto. Didn't you mention you were going to Korea to hunt ? So is that a Korean beach ? That looks like a promising beach to hunt. Good place to sharpen your chops ! That picture reminds me of when I 1st swung a detector , a bit younger then you. Can't wait to see your 1st Gold !

Think he is going to Korea this summer for vacation , giving him time to learn that new machine before he goes.

Thats awesome Josh hope you have a great time in Korea and make some great finds

Back
Top Bottom