Chain Saw

I have one, but it's still like new, I run my farm boss mostly...

Do you have another bigger saw?

The 170 is a nice lightweight saw, but its little..

<°)))>{

I don't use that particular model, but I usually check the reviews on Amazon.com to see how a lot of people rate a particular product, but I could not find that specific model listed. There are other places online it is reviewed but I can't say how dependable those reviews are. I usually like to be able to see at least a 4 out of 5 star rating with over 100 reviews on such a purchase. (Amazon has 24 chainsaws listed with at least 4 stars out of 5 and over half of those has over 100 reviews)

Here is a review video..

His complaints about the choke, are not valid, unless you complain about all the new style Stihl saws..

<°)))>{

I have more stihl chainsaws than I need,but I own a tree service.I personally would get a ms 250 if I were you,more power and better built.Not real heavy,and just enough power to handle most yard trees.
They all come with a safety chain,which means it's not as aggressive and is less likely to kick back.But it takes way longer to cut,and in my opinion theyre junk.Tell You dealer to swap it out with a professional chain,they'll usually do that to get a sale.Your looking at $300 for the ms 250 new.

Great review vid on this saw Ice! For the small work as this seems to be intended for, limbing etc.......I'd just use a Mudpuppy modified machete....Its just way much faster and simpler....

For anything else, a bow saw or at the very top end...I drag out the Jonsered 70E....

Attachments

• machete.jpg
    machete.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 213
A buddy of mine bought a Stihl saw a few months a ago, nice little saw for small stuff. It had an easy start mechanism on it, unbelievably easy starting. No more jerking on the cord. Just make a nice easy pull and it fires up. About as easy as turning a key, no kidding.

What will you be using it for?
The MS170 is a fine saw for the average city dwelling homeowner doing yard cleanup occasionally, or for light limbing, but it would not be my choice if cutting wood for heating with all winter. Is it better than an inexpensive Homelite? Absolutely!

For anything heavier I would recommend a MS260 or larger. More tons of wood are likely cut each year by folks with MS290's than any other saw. They are popular with many because they are not so big that they are unwieldy, yet are capable of doing most things that the average suburban or rural homeowner needs done in most cases.

If you intend to be felling trees and cutting a lot of wood, like to heat with, I would suggest not only a larger saw, but probably two saws. A big one for big wood, felling, and heavy work, and a smaller one for limbing and most bucking.

I heat with wood, and I have three saws that I regularly use. I've got an old 018 for limbing and light work (that I want to replace soon with a 260 or 290), an MS391 for felling smaller trees (up to about 16") and most bucking, and an old 066 Magnum for all the bigger stuff. This gives me saws of three distinct displacement classes. A 30+cc, a 60+cc and a 90+cc, running bar lengths from 14"-36".

Think about what you want it to do in terms of the size wood it will have to cut, and the frequency that it will be used, then buy accordingly.

Also very important, leave room in your budget for safety gear. Eye protection, gloves, boots, and chainsaw chaps are a minimum. A chainsaw can hurt you badly and fast. Good safety gear doesn't replace common sense, foresight, and being careful, but it will save you a lot of pain and a trip to the ER if you should happen to have something go wrong or just an "oops" moment. Check out YouTube or Google images of "chainsaw accidents" to see what happens and get a good scare about what happens w/o good safety gear.

Keep your chain sharp, let the saw do the work, and wear your gear! Safety is paramount!
Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice/opinions everyone.

I went with the 170, picked on up today at the hardware store on sale for $159.00.

It will definitely be used as a light duty/limbing saw.

Can't go wrong with a Stihl. Treat her right and she'll do the same. My dad has had that saw a few years and has cut some decent sized oak with it. I went with the ms271. Love it.

I my stihl about 45 years old still runs great bought it new

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Running the 084 Super here......:yes: (Been heating with wood for over 30 years, so we need a saw with some guts. Stihl's have always been great saws.)

Running the 084 Super here......:yes: (Been heating with wood for over 30 years, so we need a saw with some guts. Stihl's have always been great saws.)

That should do it, you think lol...

I've ran 086 ground and 066 up in bigger trees days back..

<°)))>{

I have the Stihl 250, about seven y.o., but since new I have to run it on that high dollar pre-mixed fuel from the store. I use my father's all aluminum 1964 Homelite as a backup.

I have 6 stihl saws. 170 is my smallest and least favorite. I see you bought one. stihl will double the warranty if you buy a 6 pack of ultra synthetic oil. its well worth it.

I have 6 stihl saws. 170 is my smallest and least favorite. I see you bought one. stihl will double the warranty if you buy a 6 pack of ultra synthetic oil. its well worth it.

Whats your favorite Stihl out of the lineup? Open question to everybody....combined knowledge + experience would be helpful for folks referencing this subject down the road..

Whats your favorite Stihl out of the lineup? Open question to everybody....combined knowledge + experience would be helpful for folks referencing this subject down the road..

saws that I own- 170, 210, 250, 260, 391, pole pruner. favorite brush saw, 260 with 16" bar. only saw I use, 391 with 25" bar. yellow chain with rakers ground down. I sharpen them with my stihl msg sharpener. (same as the dealers). don't get me started on the combi system and attachments or john deeres.:laughing:

Watch what octane fuel you run in your 170.
Stihl has made some changes.
There old saws recommended higher octane premium fuel.

The newer ones now can be run on 89 octane.

Watch what octane fuel you run in your 170.
Stihl has made some changes.
There old saws recommended higher octane premium fuel.

The newer ones now can be run on 89 octane.

I dunno I'm using their motomix which is 93 octane (ethanol free!!! important here in CA! I love the ease of the stuff... 2 year shelf life...) in my brand new ms271 (50cc, 20" bar, yellow chain) which also extends a warranty to 2 years when you buy 6 of....

Depends on use really. I was replacing a 20+ year old abused McCullough 50cc timberbear, then I got my ms271 50cc 20". $50 more I could have had the 55cc unit, but....

I use my saw for firewood... local and national forest.

Love the ms271. No joke.

Attachments

• IMG_9707.jpg
    IMG_9707.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom