Wanted to share my find from the other day

lthompson0123

Added to my collection of bells
f54ab1fa30f1203d78d7ac7f0573b89a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding find! For me, theres just something about finding a bell or any
other kind of manmade musical component...Moreso than a coin or a ring, sure we think about that as well, 'the last dropper' but when it comes to bells its a wonderful tingly kind of find! Especially after cleaning them up and hearing them!

I guess its because we are engaged in an Audio Primary sport that makes finding a bell so important and a Planetary trophy....A guy finds a Bell and thinks to himself, "Who was the last person on this Planet that heard this particular bells tone and melody? What kind of horse wore this crotal set up? Was he a great big honest Belgian loved by the Family? What was his name? Brutus? Peachy? How was it lost? Was this schoolbell swung by a well loved Country teacher? What was the last song this harmonica reed played and who heard it last?? Did it bring them comfort?

A guy thinks...'the last time this bell struck was a long time ago'....It makes a guy feel very humble and very small, and I found it? And I'm hearing it? I do not deserve this honor! Its a very serious and reverent kind of find.....to be buried in dirt and lose your voice for a hundred years?.....to be heard again by one of us? Its just so dmaned amazing how sound transverses time, and we find it?! Clean it up and get to hear it again? Its a whole 'nother deal than finding an old lost coin...at least it is for me...

'the tintinnabulation of the bells'

Last edited:
other kind of manmade musical component...Moreso than a coin or a ring, sure we think about that as well, 'the last dropper' but when it comes to bells its a wonderful tingly kind of find! Especially after cleaning them up and hearing them!

I guess its because we are engaged in an Audio Primary sport that makes finding a bell so important and a Planetary trophy....A guy finds a Bell and thinks to himself, "Who was the last person on this Planet that heard this particular bells tone and melody? What kind of horse wore this crotal set up? Was he a great big honest Belgian loved by the Family? What was his name? Brutus? Peachy? How was it lost? Was this schoolbell swung by a well loved Country teacher? What was the last song this harmonica reed played and who heard it last?? Did it bring them comfort?

A guy thinks...'the last time this bell struck was a long time ago'....It makes a guy feel very humble and very small, and I found it? And I'm hearing it? I do not deserve this honor! Its a very serious and reverent kind of find.....to be buried in dirt and lose your voice for a hundred years?.....to be heard again by one of us? Its just so dmaned amazing how sound transverses time, and we find it?! Clean it up and get to hear it again? Its a whole 'nother deal than finding an old lost coin...at least it is for me...

Sooooooo true MP! When I get home and go through my finds, my wife and I often ask these types of questions regarding it’s history, it’s story, it’s “life”. It sometimes is, indeed, very humbling to now be a part of the story!
Awesome find, and awesome reply!
HH

I think this post sums up the whimsy and magic of this hobby, at least for me. Being out and about, deciphering what my detector is trying to tell me, enjoying the (for now) brisk cold air, and finally digging up interesting pieces of history are all great; but the real excitement is cleaning up my finds and pondering the possibilities of the journeys that these items embarked upon and how they ended up in a place where "I" was destined to find them. As you said, it truly is humbling when you stop and think about it for even a second.

Admittedly I am still a rookie and havent found nearly as much cool/old stuff as some here have, but even my 1871 Canadian quarter astounds me. Minted in London, shipped to somewhere in Canada and then on to middle-of-nowhere podunk Michigan. For the first 60 years of that coin's life, horses were the primary means of transportation. Was it an early traveler? A late traveler? Did some little boy swipe it from his dad's coin collection to show his friend and then dropped it? Did someone 100 years ago miss out on dinner because they lost that coin? The endless possibilities and paths of history-to me-is what truly makes the MDing sickness so contagious.

Well said Mud-puppy, well said.

I think this post sums up the whimsy and magic of this hobby, at least for me. Being out and about, deciphering what my detector is trying to tell me, enjoying the (for now) brisk cold air, and finally digging up interesting pieces of history are all great; but the real excitement is cleaning up my finds and pondering the possibilities of the journeys that these items embarked upon and how they ended up in a place where "I" was destined to find them. As you said, it truly is humbling when you stop and think about it for even a second.

Admittedly I am still a rookie and havent found nearly as much cool/old stuff as some here have, but even my 1871 Canadian quarter astounds me. Minted in London, shipped to somewhere in Canada and then on to middle-of-nowhere podunk Michigan. For the first 60 years of that coin's life, horses were the primary means of transportation. Was it an early traveler? A late traveler? Did some little boy swipe it from his dad's coin collection to show his friend and then dropped it? Did someone 100 years ago miss out on dinner because they lost that coin? The endless possibilities and paths of history-to me-is what truly makes the MDing sickness so contagious.

Well said Mud-puppy, well said.

That’s excellent insight Andrew, we really ARE looking for snippets of history scattered here and there, and to be in “that place” at “that time” where the world of 150 years ago is brought to the present time...it is an incredible feeling of discovery. For someone to NOT be able to appreciate treasure hunting in general is beyond me. Good to see yet another hunter who sees it for what it really is...you’re a “true hunter”.

The bell could be a live stock bell. I found one very similar to yours at a local cellar hole. Its one of my favorite finds. Also look up the makers marks on the crotal bells, some are more valuable than you might expect.

Back
Top Bottom