Anybody ever dig up human remains?

CoryTDF

My wife is a True Crime fanatic and she asked me today if I thought anybody has ever found a ring or something that was attached to human remains? I did a search of the forum and did not find anything about it.

So, anyone ever find a ring and a finger? What did you do?

I believe Epi-hunter is still a member here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a wild cave guide many years ago. On a trip after there had been a flood in the cave I was leading a group through a crawl and as I turned my head around an obstacle my head lamp illuminated a leather glove with the fingers sticking up out of the mud 10 inched from my face. I slowly reached out and grabbed a hold of it and was shocked to feel something long and firm in the index finger. I pulled the glove out of the mud and slowly dumped it out - and out fell...… a mini maglight. My mind had already envisioned a skeletal finger dropping out of it.

Dolores park, in San Francisco, was a cemetery up till the turn of the century or so. At which time all the graveyards in the city were dug up and emptied and moved to south of the city. Which is now "Colma". I guess because building space was at a premium, so therefore no more graveyards in town. All the caskets were supposedly dug up and moved to Colma, south of San Francisco.

Anyhow, Dolores park got an over haul years ago, where a bunch of turf was dug up for renovation of the park. We were there getting old silver coins in the park scrape. And : casket parts (hinges, handles, etc... ) were found. And at one point, I found a ring, and yes: There was a bone in it ! BTW the ring was only copper or brass. Not silver or gold.

While detecting once I met a man who was going across the country, detecting as he went. he said once he was detecting some sand dunes when he got a signal and dug a ring still attached to the owner. He said he reburied it and left the area. He said he was in an area where a stranger would be accused of any crime since they just wanted to blame it on someone to solve a case. Anywhere else he would have reported it to the police.

While detecting once I met a man who was going across the country, detecting as he went. he said once he was detecting some sand dunes when he got a signal and dug a ring still attached to the owner. He said he reburied it and left the area. He said he was in an area where a stranger would be accused of any crime since they just wanted to blame it on someone to solve a case. Anywhere else he would have reported it to the police.

Wow, this is absolutely crazy.

I knew a fellow , from a certain country (which shall go un-named), who was driving desolate roads in the back country. And he came across a car accident where a vehicle had gone over a cliff. He looked down over the cliff and saw buzzards that were eating the corpse down below.

The fellow merely went on his way, and reported it to no one. Because, like in your story of whatever-location-that-was, People just "didn't get involved" and "stuck to themselves", lest it just create complications or burdens on them, blah blah.

This makes you want to love the good old USA a little more, eh ?

There's a vacant lot in a neighborhood where I've had some detecting permissions. One time I was in the neighborhood I made note of a vacant lot. Eventually I got around to researching it so I could track down the owner and ask permission. It turned out to be owned by an LLC formed by the neighborhood. Long story short, additional research showed there were at least half a dozen unmarked shallow graves on the property. As shallow as a foot deep. I've seen the report with the ground penetrating radar images. A few of the graves are in the back corner of the lot, but at least two are in front next to the sidewalk. You'd never know it and a somebody metal detecting without permission could easily hit the remains if they were going after a deep signal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom