National Guard Armory .... now public

jbkelly3

Elite Member
With tomorrow being the day we remember those who have been lost, I decided to head today to the old National Guard Armory, recently turned over to the city and now public. Not really expecting much, as this was only built in the late 1960's ... but worthwhile anyway. As expected a lot of clad ($1.55) one wheat (53s) and a few what bits to recycle. The neat finds of the day came from the same hole .... a fired bullet and the unit pin for the local troops. The unit is the 48th Infantry Brigade, and they have served in both Desert Shield / Storm as well as the Global War on Terror, with deployment to both Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times. A junk ring was also in the finds, but rang so high that as soon as I saw the hint of gold I knew it was plated. This was just a 15 x 15 area .... and there is much more to cover. Just over an hour of hunting to get this ... will go back as soon as I can!

Attachments

• 48th pin.jpg
    48th pin.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 48th p2.jpg
    48th p2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 48th p3.jpg
    48th p3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 308
The unit pin is that old Gray Bonnet, tied with a Blue Ribbon. It is a sub unit of the 48th Brigade, the 121st Infantry. A buddy of mine served in the 48th as the CSM and informed me that this is the Right side version of the pin. It is the only unit anywhere in the American forces that has a pin that has both left and right versions. The left version has the bonnet facing the opposite direction. These would be worn on the shoulder boards.

Back
Top Bottom