• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting Magazines?

yes! there is american digger. it is expensive 38.00 a year. meant to subscribe
before and finally did it! got a 1 year sub...i am not thrilled as i was loyal to western & eastern for a very long time. i cannot do digital,so i took a chance and got the american digger be forewarned, as american digger focuses on relic hunting and the civil war. i am a coin shooter mainly so i find it just so-so nothing special, and did i mention?..it's expensive.. they certainly are not giving it away!
it IS printed on a very heavy 'glossy" paper, which i am sure is costly for them, but still, its bi-monthly and not monthly! so you have to decide if you really want to take a chance! i do like their "finds" area which has 4 pages of content! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Many thanks for the view. It confirmed what I thought after seeing the prominently displayed bottles, jars, and such on the covers. I did find digital samples of the magazine, which seem to be highlights of a few years.

If nothing else I will have to subscribe after the monthly bills are paid - even if I find just nuggets of detector or other interests inside. If they cater to our hobby at all I think it is worth supporting. HH

I never could read all those old "treasure" magazines, mostly just a bunch of ridiculous stories about treasures that were never there in the first place. I will admit to buying the thicker "Treasure Hunter's Yearbooks" for a few years though largely because I got written up in the 1975 edition. The yearbook was more focused on what had been found during the year rather than unfounded stories of treasures waiting to be found.

I agree with you there, even if true they would have no bearing on where I'd be able to detect, I don't remember reading many stories myself.

Personally I always liked to read up on new hobby technology, accessories, and related goods. Also get a look at other peoples setup, attire, accessories, methods, and tips from their tales or photos. Like most I developed the upgrading mentality, which has done little overall for finds but enough to keep trying. Several tips/techniques I use regularly with little thought of where it came from. Also some items/accessories such as the now common pinpointer I read about years ago though have made a marked difference in recovery if not finds.

Like you I found photos of finds was great as a excuse to add excitement and day dream of my next hunt. After all without any hope in finds, detecting becomes little more than exercise with a highly expensive arm weight with ear warmers.

One thing it did too was help me to see some of the many different coins in our history, and to possibly ID any if I found them. So far I have found more old coins in change than detecting; however, as I can't remember the last time I used cash (let alone got change) I'm bound to switch that by detecting.

I must admit I do see the parallel between them and the forum, but still see them as two separate and worthwhile entities. It's always best to have several forms of entertainment regardless of the overlap.

I must admit that W&E Treasures motivated me to buy my first detector in 1998. Drove 125 miles to Little Rock to buy it. At the time Whites XLT and I think Garrett 2500 GTI were top of the line. The owner of the detector shop said get the XLT. I still have it.

I found another magazine digital only Dirt Digest Magazine, this one however is a free subscription. I must admit I know little about it beyond a quick look - it is monthly, has the typical detector ads mixed in, photos of finds, and of course stories. The first issue was April 2019.

Strange a new magazine for the hobby has appeared recently, especially as others are disappearing. Does anyone know more about the DDM magazine?

I must admit that W&E Treasures motivated me to buy my first detector in 1998. Drove 125 miles to Little Rock to buy it. At the time Whites XLT and I think Garrett 2500 GTI were top of the line. The owner of the detector shop said get the XLT. I still have it.

Great to hear, thanks for sharing. I always heard great things about the XLT, and glad you still have it. There is always something special about the first of anything, especially a detector as good as that one.

The GTI 2500 is actually still in production and I have heard little about over the years. Even the listing on Amazon only has 8 reviews, ranging all the way back to 2003 (the oldest I've ever seen on the site).

Back
Top Bottom