Carved Minie Ball - Jewelry Piece?

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Found this carve ball today in one of my Civ areas. Looks like it was pounded flat against an iron file, some side cuts were added, then a hole was punched to make it some kind of tag or jewelry piece. It seems to have folded over time, I think it was totally flat when it was made. Definitely was a surprise to me when I brought it up! The coins in the background are on this post.

Thanks for checking it out.

Likely made for a fishing sinker, river or stream close by ? Soldiers made sinkers, as well as civilians way back when bullets could be found just lying on the surface. Here's a sample of the ones I've recovered over the years, and one in the middle is very similar to yours.

Attachments

• 20200504_094846.jpg
    20200504_094846.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 417
Likely made for a fishing sinker, river or stream close by ? Soldiers made sinkers, as well as civilians way back when bullets could be found just lying on the surface. Here's a sample of the ones I've recovered over the years, and one in the middle is very similar to yours.

I thought that a sinker could be a possibility (still could be) but there's no real water source nearby. Looking over old maps between 1830 - 1960, there's none around either. I was leaning more on a jewelry or decorative piece since someone stamped it with a file and put some cuts on the side. It is on weight for a .69 cal ball. But who knows for sure!

don't know about the sinker because of the other carvings / etchings.. Why bother with that for a sinker.. I like to imagine that the bullet was carved out of somebody and they kept it for good luck.. :)

don't know about the sinker because of the other carvings / etchings.. Why bother with that for a sinker.. I like to imagine that the bullet was carved out of somebody and they kept it for good luck.. :)

thanks! I am on the same idea with it, I have seen plenty of sinkers. But to hammer it flat and mash a file design into it is just a lot of work to throw in a river. Also the lack of a river nearby is my other give away :lol:

Back
Top Bottom