Military? Flat button help

HillTopper

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify this flat button found yesterday in S. Mich? On the back side, outer circle it says "TREBLE GILT ORANGE COLOUR". The inner circle says: [dot] "Warranted" [dot], and there is what appears to be a crescent facing down, below the eye/shank.

It measures 22 mm in diameter.

The front has no designs or markings even when viewed with oblique light. I found one on Relicman's website that matches the back side (B6139 Federal Navy button, anchor on shield, one part flat, Treble Gilt Orange Colour, (22.4mm)), but that one has a design on the front.

Could mine have been a two-piece version and the front is missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• MilitaryFlatButton-VanZant.jpg
    MilitaryFlatButton-VanZant.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,560
It is possible that your button is military, but not a strong probability. The backmark, by using the spelling "colour", would indicate your button was made in Europe. Flat buttons usually run from 1790 to 1840. Yours likely dates from 1820 or earlier because after that date they were being manufactured in our country.

Thank you Duggap. Were many of the American military buttons of the 1810s-1830s made overaeas? I noticed that most of the US Navy ones on Relicman's site also use the spelling "colour" rather than "color". Or perhaps Americans were still using the English spelling at that time?

Thanks for you help!

Back
Top Bottom