Narrowed down

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Alright everyone. Amanda and I have decided on buying 2 of the following four:

Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Safari.

We have more than enough of a budget to buy two of these machines. Buying 2 of the same is against the rules lol. Of these 4 which 2 should we get. Coinshooting and jewelry hunting is what we do most and up in the rocky mountain region the ground can be horrible trying to get a decent signal. These are What we've narrowed our choices down to.

Thanks in advance!

I have an equinox 800 and a Garrett at Max. So that’s my recommendation. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the at max for about 2 weeks down in Bozeman area. Then got the nox 800. Max was very chattery on the soils around here. When the nox spoke up, there was metal below it. Not really any false signals that I could distinguish. Granted I probably didn't give the max enough time but out of the box, the nox 800 was so much nicer with the tones. The max was returned. I'm really enjoying and still learning the nox.

HD

I have an AT Pro and Nox 800. I have no plans to buy another machine anytime soon, but if I did, then XP Deus. That's based on the videos I've seen, but I also think it's a good idea to spread across different companies because they all see the ground a little differently.

2 of the machines on your list has an internal battery and the other 2 have the option for AA batteries. If I were you I would get one of each. The minelab safari will be a slower swinging unit due to recovery speed but personally that is the one I would choose myself for that option because of the larger screen compared to the AT max.

I would pick the equinox for the other unit. Simple fact that the screen is larger than the XP deus and also due to the fact you would only have to charge the unit itself and not the control head and coil separately.

Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Safari.

We have more than enough of a budget to buy two of these machines. Buying 2 of the same is against the rules lol. Of these 4 which 2 should we get. Coinshooting and jewelry hunting is what we do most and up in the rocky mountain region the ground can be horrible trying to get a decent signal. These are What we've narrowed our choices down to.

Thanks in advance!

Those fbs ARE WAY TOO HEAVY! Skip the safari..youd regret it ..imo
Your wife wil definately hate it

Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Safari.

We have more than enough of a budget to buy two of these machines. Buying 2 of the same is against the rules lol. Of these 4 which 2 should we get. Coinshooting and jewelry hunting is what we do most and up in the rocky mountain region the ground can be horrible trying to get a decent
signal. These are What we've narrowed our choices down to.

Thanks in advance!

may i suggest an alternative?..will have to go back to school to learn the "audio".
but the wonderfull tesoro mojave makes for a "crackerjack" coin sniper! with the 7" precision concentric coil, a terrific "trash" detector! outrageously good in iron
may still be available, and "short money!" $251.10 ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Hi Chris, I would buy a Nox 800 and the AT Pro, not the Max. I don't care for the scratchy tones of the Max, the Pro has much smoother sounds.

I use the Pro here in Montana, my friends use the Nox 600 and Nox 800 respectively and we all find good stuff. Location, and really learning your detector and what it is telling you is the key, and there are tons of good places in Montana to make great finds, good luck with whatever you choose!

Xs 2 on the 800 and AT Pro. And I think one of the sponsors has a special Pro pack with a carrot and other goodies with it. Good luck Mark

I have both the Deus and Nox. You are pretty much (IMO) set having those two at the same time.

Go with the HF coil for the Deus and stock for the Equinox.

Hi Chris, I would buy a Nox 800 and the AT Pro, not the Max. I don't care for the scratchy tones of the Max, the Pro has much smoother sounds.

I use the Pro here in Montana, my friends use the Nox 600 and Nox 800 respectively and we all find good stuff. Location, and really learning your detector and what it is telling you is the key, and there are tons of good places in Montana to make great finds, good luck with whatever you choose!

I agree. But I think I'm leaning toward the Nox and the Deus. I'm ordering new detectors this week. Might get the Pro as a backup or secondary

I wouldn't own a deus and a equinox, nothing to gain.Both are excellent...Out of the two tho I'd take the deus cause it'll do everything the nox will and more, plus the weight and foldability are unmatched.
Safari is a good choice also, everyone should at least try a fbs machine , it's a true Cadillac in this hobbie.Best tones and best discrimination out of all machines made in my opinion.Its the lightest out of all the fbs machines and easiest to run with the same deep coin finding power of the etrac.
My choices would be deus and safari

Last edited:
I don't care for the scratchy tones of the Max...

Same. I don't like the AT Max tones at all. I still use my AT Pro along side the Nox 800.

x3. I gave the AT Max a fair shake through all of last year, but I never did get used to the tones and overall audio quality of the machine - that surprised me, because I was coming from a Garrett Ace 400 which I really enjoyed using. As LovestheShiny mentions, there was a "scratchy" quality to all of the tones that, to me, even made the good targets sound questionable. That said, there are folks that really like their Max - I'd recommend finding a local dealer who will allow you to try one before buying to see what you think. Youtube videos didn't give an adequate representation of how the machine really sounds in person in the field.

All that said, I've only used the EQ800 and the AT Max from your list, so I can't speak much regarding the other machines. I can say with certainty that I very much enjoy my Equinox, and I'd avoid the AT Max in favor of one of the other two machines.

Back
Top Bottom