Detecting Iceland & Italy

guppypug

Hello,
This summer, I'll be making a trip throughout the countries of Iceland and Italy. As is natural for me, I'd love to do some metal detecting at either of these locations if the situation presents itself. I'm just looking for some tips and pointers from anyone with experience regarding these places. Where can/should I hunt? What's off limits? etc.
Thanks!

Hello,
This summer, I'll be making a trip throughout the countries of Iceland and Italy. As is natural for me, I'd love to do some metal detecting at either of these locations if the situation presents itself. I'm just looking for some tips and pointers from anyone with experience regarding these places. Where can/should I hunt? What's off limits? etc.
Thanks!

There's been some attempts to make compendium lists of all the European countries. But ... they tend to be less-than-accurate. Because some of them paint a dire picture (if not outright no's) for various countries. But ... humorously enough .... there's hunters in those countries that are having no problems.

The confusion often arises because .... whoever compiled the list decades ago, might have gotten some sort of answer that applies to public land. Yet has absolutely no bearing on private land (ie.: farmer's lands with permission). Or for example, is never applied to innocuous things like beach hunting.

For example, I had a detector listed on ebay years back, and failed to limit the bidders to the continental USA. And to my dismay, the winning bidder was some dude from Italy. But he paid in full, even for the over-seas shipping so ... I honored the sale. And in the process, my curiosity got the better of me. Because I'd seen on the compendium that Italy was one of the countries that had ... uh ... dire sounding laws. He emailed back and said that that only applies to public land. Not private land. EVEN THOUGH THE COMPENDIUM MADE NO DISTINCTION. And then he added that ... quite frankly .... where they're hunting is so far back in the woods and forests that there's no one around to care less anyhow.

Anyhow, just saying, you gotta read between the lines on whatever answer you get.

Back
Top Bottom