Spent a day at the pool

Huh...

We have a few local public pools where I live. I guess I know where my next permission is gonna be now...

I forgot to mention...make sure you give the guys some donuts or cookies or something. I do that with my guys just to show them how much I appreciate them letting me do what I love to do.

Excellent suggestion, spot on. This must happen. Maybe some "super burritos" from the local Mexican joint for lunch. Keep those guys happy.

.... events like cub scout gatherings, crab feeds, ...

Well gee, since you were a member there (and an employee too for pete's sake), then .... gee... didn't you loose your boyscout ring there when you were at that crab feed ? Sheesh, go look for it ! :impatient:

Your going to have some fun at that spot. Have you checked the shade areas where parents would sit and watch the kids swim (the big tree in the background).. There's got to be some gold on the premises somewhere.

After reading this thread I thought I'd try a local pool near where I live. When I got there I saw a large paved parking lot, a large concrete area with a shelter and picnic tables, and of course, the pool and changing building. Next to all this was about a 20' X 30' area of grass. I almost left immediately, but decided since I was there...

I don't think that grass had ever been detected. :) The target density was HIGH. I'm interested mainly in coins and having dug so many pulltabs and poptops, I notch out a lot of IDs. Having limited time that evening, I just focused on quarter signals and dug over 20 in about an hour and a half (I'm a slow digger). Also picked up a couple easy/shallow nickles and dimes.

Went back the next morning for a while and after clearing the area of all/most quarters, I tried to see if I could find some dimes since I'm still looking for my first silver. 10-12 holes later, after they all yielded copper pennies, I lost interest and headed to a new park. But still totaled 62 clad for over $11.00.

I know everyone has their own "style" such as "dig everything!", I'm just wondering how many are like me. I don't like wasting time digging signals that 99.99% will be a zincoln, I skip a lot of potential nickels because they may be a poptop, etc. I haven't found any good places that have yielded any coins earlier than 1940, so that's part of it.

How many of you are more 'selective' in digging targets?

After reading this thread I thought I'd try a local pool near where I live. When I got there I saw a large paved parking lot, a large concrete area with a shelter and picnic tables, and of course, the pool and changing building. Next to all this was about a 20' X 30' area of grass. I almost left immediately, but decided since I was there...

I don't think that grass had ever been detected. :) The target density was HIGH. I'm interested mainly in coins and having dug so many pulltabs and poptops, I notch out a lot of IDs. Having limited time that evening, I just focused on quarter signals and dug over 20 in about an hour and a half (I'm a slow digger). Also picked up a couple easy/shallow nickles and dimes.

Went back the next morning for a while and after clearing the area of all/most quarters, I tried to see if I could find some dimes since I'm still looking for my first silver. 10-12 holes later, after they all yielded copper pennies, I lost interest and headed to a new park. But still totaled 62 clad for over $11.00.

I know everyone has their own "style" such as "dig everything!", I'm just wondering how many are like me. I don't like wasting time digging signals that 99.99% will be a zincoln, I skip a lot of potential nickels because they may be a poptop, etc. I haven't found any good places that have yielded any coins earlier than 1940, so that's part of it.

How many of you are more 'selective' in digging targets?

Dig only selective signals? Depends where I am. In a highly used park around benches and picnic tables I would only dig selective signals as I don't want all the trash. In a farm field I dig everything.

And hey, if you dig 12-13 on the Vanquish 90% of the time you will get nickels or shotgun shells.

Back
Top Bottom