Well After 15+ years of detecting This FINALLY happened

Buellride

Forum Supporter
....I guess I was due:mad:

My stock ML CTX coil ears decided to break while bush whacking a very old local park. Thankfully my "walk in shame" was not witnessed by other detectorists.:roll:

I have had this coil for the 7 years I have owned the CTX (of the 5 detectors I have owned over the years) and this is the first "ear breakage" I have ever had. Should have known I was getting close to them breaking when I started to notice my coil "flexing" a bit at the connection point on my last hunt.

I used JB Weld 5000psi epoxy to reglue the ears back on and wondering the success rate for other detectorists have had trying this repair method?

As a replacement I ordered a Coiltek 10x5 coil :D that will become my permeant standard coil. I owned Coilteks for my Etrac and they FAR exceeded the stock ML coils and almost made my Etrac feel like a brand new machine...only wish ML still used Coiltek coils on their high-end machines.

I should be up and running again in under 7 days...GL and HH all!!

Attachments

• 20210228_131630.jpg
    20210228_131630.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 471
Ugh hate when that happens. I would recommend epoxy to get the ears where the need to be, and then buying a 3D printed coil stiffener. I would make sure to get one that allows you to zip tie the stiffener to the coil. You could go an extra step and epoxy the stiffener right to the coil too. Keep us posted on your repairs! :yes:

Ugh hate when that happens. I would recommend epoxy to get the ears where the need to be, and then buying a 3D printed coil stiffener. I would make sure to get one that allows you to zip tie the stiffener to the coil. You could go an extra step and epoxy the stiffener right to the coil too. Keep us posted on your repairs! :yes:

Never heard of a "coil stiffener" but when I searched Google, those stiffeners are mainly for the Nox and the CTX 17" coil.....do you know who makes them for the 11" coil?

JB weld is some tough stuff, My kid broke the turn signal off his motor cycle a few months back and JB welded it back in place. Well someone vandalized his bike a few weeks and knocked it over. Broke the turn signal off again but it broke in a different spot then what he used the JB on. Be willing to bet the spot you repaired will hold strong, not sure if the rest of it will or not.

It was sad to get that picture yesterday, I
truly thought you were going to find something awesome after I left. Hope the repair works out, that sure has been a lucky coil for you. I'm also going with the 10 x 5 Coiltek, the Nox version. Pre ordered it a while back and I think it will do well around here. For what it costs, it better have thicker coil ears that won't easily break.

Various ones available on ebay. You can use a zip tie to hold it fast to the coil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yerdiggini...v=DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Yeah, that is for a Nox....I have a CTX

JB weld is some tough stuff, My kid broke the turn signal off his motor cycle a few months back and JB welded it back in place. Well someone vandalized his bike a few weeks and knocked it over. Broke the turn signal off again but it broke in a different spot then what he used the JB on. Be willing to bet the spot you repaired will hold strong, not sure if the rest of it will or not.

Yes, it set up nice overnight....the break was kind of a flake style break so there was enough plastic left to bond (I hope) well to the coil itself. I am going to give it another 24 hours before I try to re-attach the lower rod. If it doesn't work, the Coiltek coil should be here by Friday :D

It was sad to get that picture yesterday, I
truly thought you were going to find something awesome after I left. Hope the repair works out, that sure has been a lucky coil for you. I'm also going with the 10 x 5 Coiltek, the Nox version. Pre ordered it a while back and I think it will do well around here. For what it costs, it better have thicker coil ears that won't easily break.

Yup they are very pricey Kev but I have to tell you, when I replaced my stock ETrac coil with their "joey" coil and ran it over Hawaiian ground (when I had the Etrac it was in Hawaii) that I had hunted before it was giving MUCH better numbers/tones and was absolutely spot on with the pinpointing. It was like my Etrac was a totally different machine, super crisp and exact in detecting targets....my silver finds went up over 50% because of the coil (and maybe a little of me learning the machine better). Plus I found silver/historical targets that were an easy 2-4 inches deeper than the stock because I went over ground that I had hunted before with the stock coil and kept finding more silver.....just saying :D

Never heard of a "coil stiffener" but when I searched Google, those stiffeners are mainly for the Nox and the CTX 17" coil.....do you know who makes them for the 11" coil?

They make 'em for sure, might be tough finding one in the U.S. though. Theres a member here that does 3D printing, I believe his username is torquemaster. Might be worth sending him a PM, as long as he can find the files for the stiffener, I believe he could make it. Keep us posted!

Dig that beep last video on YouTube they had this orange Ear protector looked pretty cool I’m going to get me one as soon as I find out where they got them from.

Back
Top Bottom