Rogue Trespassing Montana detectorist

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I've held off for a while on writing this post, but recently ran into more evidence that this person exists. Was detecting in Missoula a few days ago with my friend from Illinois, pryan67, and we got the OK at a couple of late teens early 1920's homes. We noticed right away there were dug plugs in the front yard. BOTH owners (15 years or more in home) stated that we were the only ones with permission to detect their front yards. I showed them the plugs, and they were a bit upset that someone had trespassed on their property to detect. I suspect it is someone / some guy who lives in Missoula, and perhaps goes out after dark, or after checking the house, then detects when no one is home.

A few more evidences...

While detecting this spring with my friends RainorShine and Buellride (from the Seattle area) they ran into a gentlemen in Missoula they had asked permission to detect from, and he told them that he had come home to find a guy detecting in his front yard.

When detecting earlier this year up in Great Falls Montana, some lady about 4 houses away came running down the street, demanding to know if we had permission to detect the front yard we were in. Yes, of course we did, but she went up and queried the homeowner who told her "yes we did have the ok." She glared at us and stomped off. Kinda like she had caught someone detecting her yard w/o permission in the recent past.

And a few weeks ago in Conrad Montana, some woman called the cops on me and my friend from Helena. Mr. PoPo refused my friendly greeting and outstretched handshake, and wanted to know "if we had a permit." I told him that the city does not require a permit and we were detecting on the public right of way (curb strips) and in peoples front yards with the owner's permission. Well, he wanted proof of that, so I took him up to the front door of the house I was at, he banged on the door, asked the woman who came to the door if we had the ok. She supported us completely. The cop then wanted further proof. We went to the next house where we had the ok, the father and son came to the door and told Mr. PoPo the we had full permission. I asked him if he wanted to go to more houses, but he was satisfied. I asked him what was going on, and he said that someone reportedly from Missoula had been trespassing in yards and he was checking to make sure we were on the up and up. He did become polite, shook my hand, I gave him my card, and he headed off.

Anyway, just some very disappointing developments here that could ruin it for all of us (all the friends I detect with and know who are honest) here in Montana. Hope some homeowner catches and restrains the dude until police arrive and he is charged and fined or jailed!

Wow! It’s sad that people have to be this way. Ruins it for all of us. Hope these bad people are caught.

For sure DJ! Made me a bit sick to realize my friend and I had done things the right way but that someone had been there ahead of us, as both yards definitely had been hunted. I think I found a 1910 Wheat Cent in the first yard which I gave to the owner's daughter. The other yard had one more wheatie, but the previous dude missed a 1927 Merc Dime! That was it for coins in the second yard.

It was so disappointing to learn that people were being so rude and potentially ruining it for everyone else. I really hope that someday they're caught.

It was an awesome time hunting with you again.

Unbelievable, the nerve of some people. Its one thing for a person to sneak on a remote piece of land to detect, thats bad enough but the nerve of someone to just waltz into someone's front yard and start detecting and digging holes, for me is inconceivable. That guy needs caught and dealt with. He is really giving the hobby a black eye with that type of behavior. I hope you run into him soon. Good luck, Mark

Every hobby has its share of idiots, ours included.

Yeah, sad but true.

It was so disappointing to learn that people were being so rude and potentially ruining it for everyone else. I really hope that someday they're caught.

Thanks again Pat! We did have a great time detecting, fighting the heat and forest fire smoke, and some idiot detectorist, but we did well!

Unbelievable, the nerve of some people. Its one thing for a person to sneak on a remote piece of land to detect, thats bad enough but the nerve of someone to just waltz into someone's front yard and start detecting and digging holes, for me is inconceivable. That guy needs caught and dealt with. He is really giving the hobby a black eye with that type of behavior. I hope you run into him soon. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark, I agree with you, and I do hope I find out who the dude is.

I've held off for a while on writing this post, but recently ran into more evidence that this person exists. Was detecting in Missoula a few days ago with my friend from Illinois, pryan67, and we got the OK at a couple of late teens early 1920's homes. We noticed right away there were dug plugs in the front yard. BOTH owners (15 years or more in home) stated that we were the only ones with permission to detect their front yards. I showed them the plugs, and they were a bit upset that someone had trespassed on their property to detect. I suspect it is someone / some guy who lives in Missoula, and perhaps goes out after dark, or after checking the house, then detects when no one is home.

A few more evidences...

While detecting this spring with my friends RainorShine and Buellride (from the Seattle area) they ran into a gentlemen in Missoula they had asked permission to detect from, and he told them that he had come home to find a guy detecting in his front yard.

When detecting earlier this year up in Great Falls Montana, some lady about 4 houses away came running down the street, demanding to know if we had permission to detect the front yard we were in. Yes, of course we did, but she went up and queried the homeowner who told her "yes we did have the ok." She glared at us and stomped off. Kinda like she had caught someone detecting her yard w/o permission in the recent past.

And a few weeks ago in Conrad Montana, some woman called the cops on me and my friend from Helena. Mr. PoPo refused my friendly greeting and outstretched handshake, and wanted to know "if we had a permit." I told him that the city does not require a permit and we were detecting on the public right of way (curb strips) and in peoples front yards with the owner's permission. Well, he wanted proof of that, so I took him up to the front door of the house I was at, he banged on the door, asked the woman who came to the door if we had the ok. She supported us completely. The cop then wanted further proof. We went to the next house where we had the ok, the father and son came to the door and told Mr. PoPo the we had full permission. I asked him if he wanted to go to more houses, but he was satisfied. I asked him what was going on, and he said that someone reportedly from Missoula had been trespassing in yards and he was checking to make sure we were on the up and up. He did become polite, shook my hand, I gave him my card, and he headed off.

Anyway, just some very disappointing developments here that could ruin it for all of us (all the friends I detect with and know who are honest) here in Montana. Hope some homeowner catches and restrains the dude until police arrive and he is charged and fined or jailed!

:wow: Wow, just WOW! :wow:
Thanks for sharing this LovestheShiny!

A few things here : You all gotta admit this guy has some serious sack to do what it takes to get the goods. Isn't that what a real pirate does ? Fact is , he beat you to it. Now , with that being said it is definitely not cool to go on someone's private property and do this. Something I wouldn't do. But on public property , go for it. Hunting public beaches that were "off limits" last year was very productive. And 1 last thing : I can't imagine a hunter staking out a private residence waiting for the owner to leave so he can clean out a few wheaties and Rosie's. Sounds like this is what he did on a few of them. Not worth it for this pirate !

A few things here : You all gotta admit this guy has some serious sack to do what it takes to get the goods. Isn't that what a real pirate does ? Fact is , he beat you to it. Now , with that being said it is definitely not cool to go on someone's private property and do this. Something I wouldn't do. But on public property , go for it. Hunting public beaches that were "off limits" last year was very productive. And 1 last thing : I can't imagine a hunter staking out a private residence waiting for the owner to leave so he can clean out a few wheaties and Rosie's. Sounds like this is what he did on a few of them. Not worth it for this pirate !

Thanks KOB, I don't mind someone "beating me to it" as long it is done in a legitimate way, like you state for public property, that all is "first come first served." This person just increases the odds that us legit guys in Western Montana will get a bad name/reputation.

Thanks KOB, I don't mind someone "beating me to it" as long it is done in a legitimate way, like you state for public property, that all is "first come first served." This person just increases the odds that us legit guys in Western Montana will get a bad name/reputation.
I wonder if all his plugs are good. Would make sense to me if he didn't care. But then he probably won't return to the same house. Somebody must have a ring camera on him somewhere. What would you do if you actually caught him ?

I wonder if all his plugs are good. Would make sense to me if he didn't care. But then he probably won't return to the same house. Somebody must have a ring camera on him somewhere. What would you do if you actually caught him ?

Not sure, as I really wouldn't know he wasn't there w/o permission, that is the beauty of his operation. His plug work was ok, it has been hot here so I could pretty easily find them.

this also indicates how "beat up" public places have become over the years.
these "nit wits" don't care about asking permission as it's a giant "pain in da ass"
and they are correct, but ya still have to do it to protect the hobby. try to think of the other guy, and do the right thing for all of us!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

may have a large pair, but it's stupid and dumb ass.he could be easily seen and
dimed out! I would never attempt to do that as i would be so paranoid i would not be able to concentrate.trespassing is dangerous! could get shot! I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

dimed out! I would never attempt to do that as i would be so paranoid i would not be able to concentrate.trespassing is dangerous! could get shot! I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
With risks , come rewards. And I am sayin' !

this also indicates how "beat up" public places have become over the years.
these "nit wits" don't care about asking permission as it's a giant "pain in da ass"
and they are correct, but ya still have to do it to protect the hobby. try to think of the other guy, and do the right thing for all of us!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

True Dat! I don't even try any parks, schools, fairgrounds or playfields unless I want to chase clad.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Yep. I like having full permission, then I don't have to worry about watching my back if I would be in some area that I don't belong!

Back
Top Bottom