• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Really great app for finding owners of property

Well you were talking about using the that application, so I was working from the context of already having that covered.

You asked why use or pay for a special app when the information was already online.

What i meant by the computer is that you are limited by what you searched for prior to hunting.

The app is usable while hunting provided you have coverage.

You asked why use or pay for a special app when the information was already online.

What i meant by the computer is that you are limited by what you searched for prior to hunting.

The app is usable while hunting provided you have coverage.

Why would you not just search from your phone when you're at the site you want to search for?

Why would you not just search from your phone when you're at the site you want to search for?

You would. But you asked why would someone buy or pay for an app. Then you mentioned searching online.

you asked why someone would use or pay for an app, i stated you could get it for free.

In asking why would someone use or pay for an app when they could search online, i assumed you didn't use the app, and conducted your searches via a computer prior to detecting.

My point was that with the app and proper coverage, you could find property owners in the field, unless you wanted to lug a laptop or tablet with connectivity while you hunt.

I just downloaded this to my iPhone. This is so much easier and faster than getting on the county GIS site. You can either do street or satellite view and it not only tells you the owner, but also the date the house was built. Thanks!

Yes, today's smart-phones can access the web, just like a desk-top 'puter. Agreed. Thus *theoretically*, you could do what you're saying from in-the-field. HOWEVER, in my experience, each county has a different layout system. They each have their nuances of where to click, blah blah. Also, maybe this isn't true any more these days, but at one time, some counties didn't even have an on-line ability yet. But that might have changed by now.

Anyhow, if this app. has standardized the navigation, then there's no need to A) learn the idiosyncrasies of multiple county's websites, and B) have to log in and out of multiple counties websites, when crossing a county line.

.... This is so much easier and faster than getting on the county GIS site. ....

I haven't played with this one much, but I recall from trying some county assessor's sites, a few years ago, that it was difficult navigating. Hopefully this is smoother and faster.

Yes, today's smart-phones can access the web, just like a desk-top 'puter. Agreed. Thus *theoretically*, you could do what you're saying from in-the-field. HOWEVER, in my experience, each county has a different layout system. They each have their nuances of where to click, blah blah. Also, maybe this isn't true any more these days, but at one time, some counties didn't even have an on-line ability yet. But that might have changed by now.

Anyhow, if this app. has standardized the navigation, then there's no need to A) learn the idiosyncrasies of multiple county's websites, and B) have to log in and out of multiple counties websites, when crossing a county line.

I haven't played with this one much, but I recall from trying some county assessor's sites, a few years ago, that it was difficult navigating. Hopefully this is smoother and faster.

This app is easy to use. Doubt I'll use it though. Downloaded it see how it worked.

You would. But you asked why would someone buy or pay for an app. Then you mentioned searching online.

you asked why someone would use or pay for an app, i stated you could get it for free.

In asking why would someone use or pay for an app when they could search online, i assumed you didn't use the app, and conducted your searches via a computer prior to detecting.

My point was that with the app and proper coverage, you could find property owners in the field, unless you wanted to lug a laptop or tablet with connectivity while you hunt.
But all you need is the proper coverage.

I guess. They all seem to use the same interface from BIS consulting. Maybe not all of them, just all the ones I've used.

I know we're talking about ease of use in the field and consistent user interface by sticking to one tool, BUT, just in case you are not having to look up properties while "on the road", and you can research from home, using a PC/laptop/tablet or even a smartphone, I have a high percentage of luck doing the following.

Where I live, most property information is in a city or town's database, rather than at the county level. I live in Boston, so let's say I want to look up a property or properties in Boston, for example.

I just Google "Boston assessors" and by the time I've typed that much, Google has supplied me with some possible search results. The one I would be looking for would be "Boston Assessors Database" or "Boston Assessors online Database". Substitute another town or city name in your Google search for property info in that location.

When I follow this link, it supplies me with an input form to type in the property parcel (address) I want to look up. Once it locates this address, I can select "Details" or "Map". If I click on the Map link, it displays all the property parcels in the neighborhood I've searched for that single address. The map looks like what you see in the Landgrid App mentioned by the original poster to this thread.

When in "Map" view, I can now drag the map around the whole city and click on any parcel to get details (Owner, description, year built, assessed value, annual tax bill, etc...)

Other towns do it slightly different, but I can usually figure it out quickly. This is all free, and I hardly ever strike out on a town not having this info online.

Hope this is useful for some of you. Good luck - have fun.

Not bad for free! It is much better than my county gis site that I sometimes refer to in the field.
I found it lacks coverage in the next state over compared to my friends paid onx app.
Thanks for passing it along..

I haven't downloaded it yet but it looks awesome! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it works on my phone. I've been planning on leaving requests for permission in people's mailboxes and this app sounds like the perfect precursor for that.

I haven't downloaded it yet but it looks awesome! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it works on my phone. I've been planning on leaving requests for permission in people's mailboxes and this app sounds like the perfect precursor for that.

There is also another app that hunters use; my carpenter showed it to me. Sorry, the name escapes me, but I’m sure you could do a search.

Just thought I'd mention most county auditors have a website where you can do the same thing for free.

I use the computer based free site for basic research and have found that they are not up to date on many sites, but they are improving the service a fair bit over the last year or so. Definitely useful to get basic info in a relatively easy to use format, whereas many GIS sites can be a bit confusing to figure out. The free site is limited in what you can discover, but its very useful for what it does give you

While installing an update of the Landgrid app for iPhone today, the update summary says: Landgrid is now Regrid… same app, new design and name

Ramer,
I just started to check out Landgrid and it says ...Try it free for 7 days then its $9.99 a month or $99.00 a year...don't see where it is free,...?????

Well, I just got on the new named Landgrid, called regrid and started to install it, however after putting all my info in and then hit Sign Up..it said email address already taken...how can that be....I'm not going to change my email addy just to get on this site...and where did they get my email...???

Back
Top Bottom