Button

joey786

Hello everyone,
Just wondered if anyone could date this button and possibly identify it. Its obviously military but not knowing the date its hard to tell if its civil war period or not. It's the size of a cuff botton and was found in a pasture in Texas. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20181231_131023.jpg
    20181231_131023.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 351
  • 20181231_125503.jpg
    20181231_125503.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 317
According to Tice's book, the only one that has the small "o" in Co and the word "Extra" would date to about the 1840s. The plain shield would be the enlisted man's "General Service" button.

Thanks guys, not sure why that button was there, I found it on a home site which is a pasture now. The man that owned the land and house was a Confederate in the civil war, definitely not Union so it makes me wonder how the button got there. And no CW battles fought around here.
Thanks for the information on the button.

He may have picked it up, I have heard of soldiers collecting all the enemy varieties. Nice Find!

It very well could have been on his uniform. Many Confederates wore eagle buttons because that was all they had.

like duggap said could be off his uniform. I have been told when the confed. captured the arsenal at little rock there was a button making machine and they continued making eagle buttons for their uniforms.

Cool button. I've found more eagle buttons in Confederate spots than Confederate buttons. The Confederates were poorly supplied & used what ever worked especially later in the war. HH

Thanks for the compliments and help guys, I was really excited when I found it, was only 3 inches deep and last year I found a 57 half dime about 20 ft from where I found the button.

Back
Top Bottom