First Hunt 2015

61chip

Elite Member
MoBob and I got out for a hunt on New Years Day. We went to a site that doesn't produce much anymore, but we've never been skunked there. It's a site where we have found some .36 cal teardrops before and quite a few .44 Colt pistol rounds.

It was very cold -- teens to low 20's. We didn't expect the ground to be frozen to badly, but digging was tuff with ground froze 3"-4" deep. My first target for 2015 was a nice .44 Colt drop but that was about it for me. Found a fired small roundball, a thin splattered piece of camp lead, a small rivet, and another small piece of lead that has either been carved or cut up by a plow. Not sure what the little brass ring is. Was nice to get out with my hunting buddy. We got snow and brutal cold coming the next few days so may be a while before we can hit it again. GL & HH

Attachments

• IMG_20150103497.jpg
    IMG_20150103497.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 162
Yep , she was cold but a whole lot colder now , and I'm officially done until spring . HH hunting to those who can get out .

Nice hunt in the cold

Yes. I don't like the cold but I'll put up with it for a chance at some CW relics. Last year MoBob and I drove 3 hours in a ice storm to get some. The ground was froze so hard you had to recover the target in a hunk of frozen dirt, then put in your pouch to thaw out later to see what you found:laughing:

Any hunt that produces anything Civil War is a good hunt in my book. We don't have the hard winters here in southern Kentucky but supposed to be down to 5 degrees by Wednesday. I had 2 days last year digging in frozen ground so I got a taste of what you guys go through... you earn everything you dig! Nice hunt and hope you can get back out soon.

Back
Top Bottom