• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

About to loose another Civil War site to urban sprawl....

The Items "will be held for preservation and study". I have a feeling this means they will never be seen by anyone outside of his group. We all know how archeologist think, it's better to have items destroyed then to allow anyone else to have access. These were our ancestors items and should be available to anyone who takes the time, and effort to find them, not just for a select few "archeologist" to store in the basements of their universities. :mad:

When the construction teams take over ,I'd see about doing some digging once they knock off for the day . 165 acres is a lot and would take forever for the archies to sift threw . I believe the developers would probably take over before they let those guys stand in their way .

What a shame. Another spot soon to be lost for good. Hope someone is able to get on the site during construction to make some saves

They claim we remove from context.... I can GPS pinpoint every artifact, depth and precise location, and dig on hell of a more accurate hole. My colonial display is at my daughters school in care of her teacher where they can see the history... Not have it cataloged on a dark drawer... Here's the email from the teacher....

Sent from my Windows Phone From: Drinkhahn, Catalina
Sent: 2/20/2014 4:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Jamestown Artifacts
Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your treasures!!!! They are awesome
to look at. The kids are super excited to see!! Not all kids were
able to observe. In addition, I shared it with the 4th grade team and
they are super excited to share with their students. Anna stated that
we could keep the artifacts until next week. Is this possible? I
promise to keep it locked up over night.

Thank you again for sharing this treasure. :)

I never understood that. Most of these archeologist work for universities, many of which are privately owned, so why should these private corporations have exclusive access to historic sites to stock their basements with artifacts while the normal American is banned from even the most unimportant sites. England has the right idea, let people go out and find the items, and if they deem them important enough for the state to buy, they give them a fair price. It's a win win, which is why so many amazing treasure finds are reported. Here in the states if you find anything worthwhile you better keep your mouth shut or some commie archeologist will be having the feds come and take it for their private college basement collection. They realize most sites we hunt are not worthwhile to mount digs at, it's not worth the time and effort to find a few common buttons and coins, but instead of allowing us to enjoy the thrill of finding history they ban us, letting the items rot away rather than fall into the hands of anyone but themselves.

Cause they all think we are Savage diggers....we are teachers, fathers, history lovers..... Oh and we spend thousands to find our own digs while they cry poor mouth and get paid to do it on "grants" who's got more invested? Emotionally and financially .... The Detectorist that's who!

Its because and i quote "It is not the item itself that has historical meaning. Items taken out of the ground look at depth, orientation, and location give it meaning."

but looking at that picture of the button i dont see any of that going on as exact as we could be.... they just seem to want everything for themselvs... afterall and i quote again..

"items in the ground were in the ground for decades, a few more years is not going to make a difference" 100% lie there as i'm sure we all know :laughing:

That is a shame. You think he would put out a call for voulenter Metal Detcterist to help locate items for them to recover. Would be a win win. They get the Items and we as a comunity could show that we are all not relic destroying monsters.

Back
Top Bottom