Silver detector poll of sorts

longbow62

Forum Supporter
Silver detector poll. The only rule I would like to place on this poll is that I only want to hear from folks that pulled at least 50 silver coins out of the ground in 2018. I think 50 silvers is enough to get a good idea of what the more successful people are using without alienating a lot of folks.

Cut and dry no need for extra comments. This poll is not if I only had one detector for silver coins what would it be or in 2016 I found 50 with so and so detector. 2018 only! The 50+ silver folks may have used more than one detector model or brand to find their silver, but I would like to know which detector was the most productive detector for finding the silver you found in 2018? Along with the detector you can also post your silver totals for 2018 if over 50 or more.

Poll here is in a way bogus.

Quite a few folks here could use lots of detectors and find 50 silvers in a year.

A person can only use one detector ata time though.

And just where a person hunts could make a difference.

Finding 20 silvers in a year in already hard hunted places only with one model detector would be a worthy feat.

Etrac user could if they could find only virgin sites might find 200 silvers in a year.

What about how many hours a person detects?

Wonder if a weekend warrior (who works full time) finds 50?

Yeah, hours spent detecting drives numbers of finds generally even silver coins.

Just pure raw silver finds in a year doesn’t tell me squat really when trying to rank which models are better or worse at finding silver. Need far more data from many many folks then just maybe I could get a true pic of the real deal.

Now folks do seem to have personal yearly goals with their silver finds numbers.
If you’ll notice they toward the end of the year let their numbers drive their ambition to hunt to try and make or exceed their personal goals. So again time detecting can drive numbers of silvers found.

Better if we had hours detected with numbers of silvers found.
Still won’t give me total info but better than just asking who has found 50 silvers.

So a couple questions.
Is the better detectorist the one who make higher number of silver finds ?
Is the better detector (for coins) the one that is used to make the higher number of silver finds?

The answer to the 2 questions above is NOT enough info to answer clearly.

What about holes dug ratio for silver coin found or any coin really?
This accompanied by hours detected would definitelyy tell me something if a larger groups of folks shared their data.

Yeah maybe what we need is hour meter on detectors and develop a scoring system weighted like the BCS formula used for ncaa football bowl births.

Then we would definitley have a much better idea of the real deal.

I can use a Equinox far longer than Etrac due to weight or even a Deus.
Again numbers here could be skewed due to time detecting per model used.

Ergo is a valued added feature though. But a lighter weight detector since it can be used more time wise, it could be painted as a better detector (operationally) than it really is.

There are At Pro users who have found 50 silvers in a year I’ll bet.
Again just the only thing a person says is yes i found 50 silvers in 2018 with At Pro.
The sentence tells me little when trying to rank which is best or better model for finding silver coins.

Types of sites a person hunts can drive numbers too per model used.
Mineralization of dirt in sites can drive numbers too per model used.

Fisher F75 user could do very well in milder dirt regions.
Fbs user can do better maybe in higher mineralized regions.

And naturally which model new currently being produced is best bang for buck for locating silver ( not all silver) but when we do price paid for potential detector has. Can definitley say here Minelab CTX is NOT the one here to fit this bill.

This thread started out as asking about silver finds detector model wise.

What about all coins?
It is my belief/ opinion based on actual first had use of CTX, Etrac and Equinox 800.
A person if they buy EQX 800 new and Etrac new. And purchase small coil for EQX.
If they use Etrac with stock coil 50 percent of their detecting time.
And use the EQX 800 with stock and smaller coil the other 50 % of their detecting time.
At years end they will have found more coins total vs using a CTX with stock coil 100% of their time detecting.
With loads of additional nickels being found with Eqx especially in areas with more iron. And potential of gold coins smaller higher.

And when you compare the $$$ spent.
Who has spent more?
Close to a tie.

Last edited:
Tnsharpshooter you make excellent points. My goal with this was looking for a trend with the folks that score high numbers of silver each year. Those guys are usually serious and pick the best machine for the job. If your a serious silver hunter I doubt you would want to handicap yourself. They are also probably the ones who have used multiple machines to find the one most capable.

I totally get best sites old virgin sites. Those make a huge difference.

I keep trying to talk myself into a used Etrac or CTX, but then think I have a Nox 800 and the small coil for the trash already. Do I really need anything else.

Tnsharpshooter you make excellent points. My goal with this was looking for a trend with the folks that score high numbers of silver each year. Those guys are usually serious and pick the best machine for the job. If your a serious silver hunter I doubt you would want to handicap yourself. They are also probably the ones who have used multiple machines to find the one most capable.

I totally get best sites old virgin sites. Those make a huge difference.

I keep trying to talk myself into a used Etrac or CTX, but then think I have a Nox 800 and the small coil for the trash already. Do I really need anything else.

I don’t think all who score high numbers are necessarily using best detector to do.
They likely indeed KNOW their detectors though.

There is no correct right answer all the time.
Like I said above loads of variables.

Some folks don’t like to have 2 detector models to run. Understandable too.

All I can say about this subject as it pertains to EQX 800 and Etrac.
Is....
Target ID of silver coins around iron using Etrac more accurate on average vs EQX 800.
Target ID of nickel coins around iron using EQX 800 more accurate on average vs Etrac.

IH coins could be a tie.

Actual depth with ID of silver/copper in medium mineralized ground slight advantage goes to Etrac.

Modern trash hunting.
Etrac has advantage vs EQX ID wise on higher conductive coins while EQX is in mulit freq. use of single freq ops using EQX can level field with etrac. But using single freq with EQX can bring other disadvantages vs the Etrac as far as performance.

Myself I would want to see CTX or Etrac with stock coil in a site along with EQx 800 to give me more piece of mind that I have detected higher percentage of coins period that is possible. Even saying thisother detectors could be used in the same sites and pull some coins. Like Deus (LF/Hf coils), Nokta Anfbio to make a few.

Now I have been referencing Etrac. Don’t forget about explorer line either. Very good detectors in sites looking for silver coins. Might want to stay away from first explorer intoned though.
But XS Explorer and forward all good.
Asked old Captain about explorers. He does well with them. He can hold his own with anyone. I am sure of it.

Last edited:
More detailed info here for folks to give them an idea of what they may see if they compared Etrac and EQX in some sites.

Remember there is a high chance EqX was used second or behind fbs type detectors in many sites. Hence actual results of how good or bad Eqx is could be skewed somewhat.

Anyway.
Take Etrac.
You could by way of variability setting and disc allow only 40 conductive and higher to sneak through tonally p.
This would net you silver. Copper and not zincolns.
And Etrac will bring tone on silver ( detectable) near iron with ID conducitve number 40 and above Albeit ferrous number may be driven into then 20s region due to colocated iron.

Eqx 800.
You run your bin with highest tone come in good in at 22.
This should get you coppers and silver.
But Eqx ID has higher chance with silver being colocated with ferrous to be driven lower than 21 yielding different tone. Hence you may walk right by dismissing.

EQX though does allow nickle bin for audio based on ID felt by detector where’s Etrac doesn’t. Etrac user is basically glancing at screen with signals hoping to see conductive number 12 or 13 in the window. Can’t detect by ear like EQX.
CTX does allow for tonal bin for nickel ID, yet it’s ID on nickels can be skewed just like Etrac when ferrous enters equation.
Actually fbs types will ID dime near nickels or pull tabs or rings better than EQX will both using multi freq.

So hunting by ear for silver Etrac better thanEQX.
Hunting by ear for nickels EQX 800 (when set up right) Better than Etrac.

This above is not to mean any of the detectors find all coins.
Or even ID all detected with any tone with correct ID.

If 2 buds got together and hunted a whole season for coins.
One with Etrac, the other with EQX. And only used stock coils and we assume both know each of their detectors well.
At the end of the season what wwoukd we see find wise by each person.
Would we see a trend? I think so.

EQX runner will devaste Etrac user with nickle finds.
EQX user will also dig more beaver tails.
Etrac runner will likely dig more silver per holes dug.

EQX user will dig more memorial pennies than Etrac user intentionally leaves for the sucker using Eqx (pun).
IH penny finds will be similar numbers wise.

More actual ground will be covered by Eqx user with higher overall efficiency for 1-8” deep.
But some sites silver may be deeper and Etrac user will capitize on more often.

Likely more jewelry items size found by EQx user.

Older finds likely dig by Etrac runner assuming they use their depth meter to render more dig or no dig decisions.

I would expect Etrac user to be passing on some finds more borderline ID wise.
These same targets EQX runner more olds of digging for them.

Remember ID scale more compressed with EQX.
This can allow EQX runner to make some nice surprise finds, yet they will dig more poo poo finds too.

Holes dug ratio for higher conductive coins of it were indeed kept by the 2 folks. Etrac would be the clear winner at end of season.

The arm and shoulder of the EQx user likely feels better day to day too.

I like both. Have both. And for all of the reasons I explain above.

Both deserve high respect. Both can make great finds.

Last edited:
Well part of the reason I used 2018 was because that was the first full year the Equinox had been out, and probably long enough to see if any serious silver shooters were gravitating to it over other machines including their Etrac's and CTX's. I can say my silver numbers went up with the Equinox over what I was using which was the Nokta Impact and I do like that detector a lot. That could be a fluke, but other things I have noticed have made me thing it's not a fluke at all.

I can say that when hunting with someone who uses the Etrac most of the time I went from being constantly out hunted to pretty much even. I have not seen an advantage to the Etrac over the Nox yet in side by side hunting when it comes to silver coins. Old nickels I have noticed an advantage numbers wise. You mentioned digging possibly more junk with Equinox. I certainly don't think I dig more junk since I got mine. If anything honestly I dig less junk now than ever. Also I think Etrac users get fooled or dig iffy's just as much and may dig more rusty nails. I very seldom dig a rusty nail in Park2 with the iron bias on 0! All that being said I am still considering a used Etrac to round out my arsenal at some point.

I don’t see a reason for you to get a Etrac if your doing good with the equinox.If you didn’t own the equinox that would be a different story..
If your sole purpose in the hobbie is to dig only old silver and copper then the Etrac is definitely the better machine.For the simple fact the visual ID is so good that it’s almost unbelievable.And the depth meter actually works,which is also a good indication between a clad quarter and a silver quarter is the depth.
Never owned a 800 but I’ve owned two 600s..And nothing against the machine cause it’s really good for a all arounder.But there are some things that a dedicated silver hunter who wants nothing else but silver needs in a machine,and the equinox is not as good as a Etrac in that scenario.For the ID and the depth meter alone...And that’s not me,I like a variety of everything.lol

Well part of the reason I used 2018 was because that was the first full year the Equinox had been out, and probably long enough to see if any serious silver shooters were gravitating to it over other machines including their Etrac's and CTX's. I can say my silver numbers went up with the Equinox over what I was using which was the Nokta Impact and I do like that detector a lot. That could be a fluke, but other things I have noticed have made me thing it's not a fluke at all.

I can say that when hunting with someone who uses the Etrac most of the time I went from being constantly out hunted to pretty much even. I have not seen an advantage to the Etrac over the Nox yet in side by side hunting when it comes to silver coins. Old nickels I have noticed an advantage numbers wise. You mentioned digging possibly more junk with Equinox. I certainly don't think I dig more junk since I got mine. If anything honestly I dig less junk now than ever. Also I think Etrac users get fooled or dig iffy's just as much and may dig more rusty nails. I very seldom dig a rusty nail in Park2 with the iron bias on 0! All that being said I am still considering a used Etrac to round out my arsenal at some point.

Well EQX has higher chance of giving say 24/25 or 26 on silver dime.
Yet user will dig copper sometimes or even clad dime.

You see 45 or 46 conducitve in Etrac odds are you are fixing to dig clad dime or silver dime and not a copper penny.

So even if when comparing over undisturbed higher conductive coin. Etrac user can identify denomination odds wise more times. This is selective digging.

But in a site many folks using Etrac will dig 42, 43, and 44 conductive numbers even knowing odds wise it’s copper or clad dime. Some worn silver could be there.

So if you go to a site with a bud. Goal to only dig silver. And develop say a formula. 3 points for any silver dug, 1 point for every clad dime dug. -3 points for every copper penny dug. And -5 points for any junk targrt dug. Silver ring counts +3 points btw.
And do this with 2 different folks using each detector. Etrac will likely score higher. Granted the EQX runner could have more finds via help with copper coins numbers. And EQx could score higher if sites are riddled with copper with few silver. But still not match numbers wise the silver number finds.

Need to do this in multiple multiple sites to get valued added data.

Or if we try this on already hard hunted Etrac /CTX pounded sites EQX could be the winner too.

If we do this on sites busted hard with EQX this would up the odds of Etrac being clear winner.

Virgin sites Imo Etrac would score higher.

Next what about IH coins, memorials and those nice aluminum twist caps?
Yeah EQX runner will be digging these to get IHs.

The Etrac user will be smiling watching EQX runner dig them.

Etrac user will be watching for 33-35 conductive numbers. And will dig few twist caps or memorials. Tone on Etrac won’t be the higher squeall though.

Again if we assign a scoring system for +2 for every IH dug. -1 for every memorial penny dug, and -2 for every twist cap. And a -5 for any other junk target dug. Etrac I think would win here over the long haul score wise.

Bottlecaps.
Etrac user won’t hear high percentage.
EQX runner has to go through a drill to ID and move on. Some could be dug though, especially deeper ones.

Back to nickels.
If we took CTX and Equniox to virgin sites only and had a nickle hunting contest.
And each with tonal nickel windows set up.
CTX would win most of the time. Or in the long haul with many virgin sites detected.
But if we take these same 2 detectors to already fbs pounded sites. Eqx 800 would win most of the time or in the long haul with many fbs pounded sites hit.
Why?
Most nickels likely ferrous challenged hence Eqx IDs better and can even detect some of these CTX won’t.

If we enter Etrac into both scenarios above.
Etrac in first scenario I think would win but by a small margin.
In the last instance it would fair a bit worse than CTX still losing to Eqx.

Both Etrac and CTX would dig less junk targets. However due to faster sweep speed allowed and lighter weight the time Eqx wastes spent say beaver tails would be a made up somewhat at least.

Almost done here.
Something for folks to think about.
The fbs came first then the fbs2 via CTX then the mighty EQx.
So Eqx was subjected moreso overall to already hunted fbs/fbs 2 sites.

Wonder what Eqx would have found if fbs or fbs2 wouldn’t have been in the sites meaning they didn’t exist period?

Folks who have used Eqx in fbs and fbs2 hard hunted sites have already shown a trend with their posting.

So the Eqx has had a tough go to prove itself. I think it has too.
There are still virgin sites out there where fbs and fbs2 have not been and other detectors too. So an Eqx just might Ben used in these and bring home the bacon even better then some here think. Including myself. Most of my use and testing has been in already fbs/fbs2 sites.
And the main reason plus my testing I have posted what I have above.

Whatever one what decides to buy to use.
Remember this.
Minelab explorers, Etrac, and CTX, and Eqx for whatever reason are the pinnacles of bad dirt performance for a VLF detector with above average ID of targets detected.
Bad dirt here I mean is medium mineralized and higher.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Last edited:
My 2c any good minelab mf detector will do great in the hands of a user that knows his machine. Take your pick bbs fbs fbs2 and multi iq.

I'm running fbs2 and my silver count last year was 87 but I am not looking for just silver exclusively

I have a lot of hours on my Etrac, but my antique Explorer 2 runs circles around it, just a hotter machine, especially depth wise.

Silver total for 2018 was 219 silver coins.

I use the AT Pro exclusively, my only detector. 99% of my finds come from curb strips or private permission yards. Types found... 2 Peace Dollars, 8 Silver Halves, 35 Silver Quarters, and the rest Silver Dimes except for a couple of old Canadian Silver 5 cent coins.

Silver total for 2018 was 219 silver coins.

I use the AT Pro exclusively, my only detector. 99% of my finds come from curb strips or private permission yards. Types found... 2 Peace Dollars, 8 Silver Halves, 35 Silver Quarters, and the rest Silver Dimes except for a couple of old Canadian Silver 5 cent coins.

I think you beat all the equinox users put together on here for silver total of 2018.:laughing:
With a at pro? I’ll bet tnsharpshooter will be having nightmares after reading your count.lmao

Back
Top Bottom