• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First detector

Jj231

Hi everyone,
I am new to the hobby and would like some advice on a detector. I think I would like something to find deep/older coins and be able to id before dig. I do and don’t have a budget, I am willing to spend whatever I need to get a machine that works well enough to keep it fun but not so complex that I can’t understand it. Ace 400 maybe? I would spend more if I need to. Whatcha think?

Welcome from New Jersey
Start mid range. After a while you'll upgrade to a top of the line model.

At Pro or Equinox is a little more money but fairly simple and both great machines. Remember, only time spent hunting with any machine is the key to Iding targets. Good luck. HH Mark

What about depth? I’m a rookie and know nothing but I think I want to find older coins that i’m assuming will be deeper. I actually have access to an old swimming hole that used to be a park around the turn of the century.

Older coins depth will be dependent on the soil. The amount of moisture, freezing and thawing. I have found old silver coins that were only three inches deep due to the amount of clay in the soil. Regardless of what machine you purchase it will take time to learn what the machine is telling you. It can be frustrating when you dig trash after trash targets. And you will dig a lot of trash when you first start How do I know? BTDT. Most all of us have.

AtPro for your situation..why? because its a rig with a pedigree of performance around old swimming holes...plus, its such a popular model, it has a decent resale value and is easy to offload if you dont like this Sport or are flat no good at it, so you aint out about but $200 in the end...

It takes a guy a lot of time behind the coil to be able to discern what the dirt is saying..Its a language you are trying to learn, subtle inflections etc. Just like learning a language with a multitude of regional dialects...you cant and wont understand a damn thing for a while, just like anybody trying to learn a new language...but if you immerse yourself in it and are dedicated and persistent enough, you will become fluent, you will..It took me 10,000 targets, in the first year behind the coil...

But now, after over 100,000 targets and 10 years later...I can read dates off of 6" deep pennies with nothing but my ears....EyeAinShiddinYa...

So you want to know how to get to Carnegie Hall? You MotherHubbard PRACTICE! :laughing:

If you don't mind slightly used you can get these three great fully waterproof, feature rich
detectors for around $500: Garrett AT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Minelab Equinox 600.

All three will be fairly easy to start out with as long as you study the manual and the metal detecting forums for beginner settings and be patient. They will also keep you challenged for a long time.

good luck
Jeff

I agree with a lot of the other responses. The AT Pro or Nox (I'd suggest the 800 over the 600 though, even though it's more money. The gold mode is something I never plan on using, but if I DIDN'T have it, I'd regret it if I ever do get the chance)

The AT Pro is easier to learn to use IMO...less settings....but that means it's less customizable.

Both are excellent machines.

The AT PRO is a good machine and you won't regret having it. I started with it before upgrading to analog machines but I keep it in reserve for the frequent rainy days we have here in the PNW.

Plus, there are loads of coil options for it and you'll be glad for that. And you can swim with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom