Light switch plate or sword handguard?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
When I first got a hold of this piece in the ground about 8 in deep, I could only feel the rounded smooth end and thought I had my first belt buckle.

When I pulled it out, and saw that rectangle spot in the middle, the first thing that struck my mind was a light switch plate/cover.

But the property owner told me I needed to see if that comes from a Civil War sword. There had been a civil war rifle and sword in the attic of the old house.

He has an original deed for the property from the king of England dated mid-1770s If I recall correctly.

I thought I could see some initials in that last photo but they aren't engraved so I think I'm imagining that.
8d85b781050c24b6471d96c8a8535f25.jpg
43d38c5ae4e236bcacb68267f0135a6d.jpg
7fbcd74c83b02d97adf831d7eba812e8.jpg
62eb3eb9d69e4573f9342fbd5dc51911.jpg
91b64b90df0d1700dd34c01fa4760ad4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1860 naval cutlass?

This pic has a rivet pattern that seems to match.
Good possibility.
is it brass?
I wonder what kind was in the attic?

Mike

Attachments

• 1860 naval cutlass.jpg
    1860 naval cutlass.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 658
This pic has a rivet pattern that seems to match.

Good possibility.

is it brass?

I wonder what kind was in the attic?

Mike

I'm not sure. I thought it was copper just because of the color but I haven't really checked.

The gentleman said that when he and his sister were kids, they would take it apart. he remembers some kind of nut or something that you could slide off and remove that. When I showed him the artifact, I had no idea and it was the first thing he thought of when he saw it. I forgot to ask him if he had any relatives that had lived in the house and had served in the war. The house has been in the family the whole time.

Here is another one that shows the row or rivets along one side.
Nice find!

Attachments

• handguard.jpg
    handguard.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 570
It must be brass. Has a really good clank to it when i rap another piece of brass against it.

I'd sure love to know more.

k2gleaner

I really wish I remembered exactly where I found this piece in case there's more of it laying nearby. I found it in the yard of the homeowner so it wouldn't be hard to go back and dig everything.

My excitement is only lessened by the fact that this may be part of something that he and his sister played with and that it wasn't dropped there years ago by the bearer of the sword.

Nonetheless, truly I need discovery for me as it is my first Civil War artifact other than a few bullets.

It sure looks like a m1860 US Navy Cutlass made by Ames.

e9e99751de91903f5606132e05c0a493.jpg
3bb44d682799b8550cf7ad0bfbac1b3c.jpg
a783fd2db166ccbfb60aa4c11ef74140.jpg
b1277b9edf779892dd604df3003dd94a.jpg

My excitement is only lessened by the fact that this may be part of something that he and his sister played with and that it wasn't dropped there years ago by the bearer of the sword.
Yes, but I think that is the case many times. Like the Regulation 1808 Shoulder Belt Plate I found at on old farm site.
No military action anywhere near there so more likely brought home when mustered out and dropped many years later. Also found a US Army Officer's coat button there.

These are still exciting finds and one has a better chance to discover the original owner. I still haven't found the 1808 plate owner but have found the name of the US army officer that wore the button.
It sure looks like a m1860 US Navy Cutlass made by Ames.

Looks like a good ID to me. Congrats!

Yes, looks to be a very good ID.

Wow that’s an awesome find right there!!
I found a revwar era one a few weeks ago!! If you look in my posts you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom