A posse hunt to try to compete with scuba-detector :)

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
About 15 yrs. ago, someone got my name from a local detector dealer. To come look for a lost ring on the beach. The fellow had rented a detector from the dealer, but couldn't find his ring. Guess he just wasn't fluent in the operation, etc.... So when he went to return it from the rental period, had asked if the dealer knew of any local md'ing persons who could help.

I agreed to meet the fellow in front of one of our touristy hotels which is situated right on the beach. He explained that he'd been playing frisbee and nerf-football a few nights prior, and saw his ring launch into the distance, after one of the ball throws.

At first he thought it's merely a matter of scratching around in the sand where it landed, right ? But as any good md'r knows: dry sand "swallows" up a dense heavy item like that. Daylight was running out, so he figured he could just come look for it again in the morning. So he made a mental marker of a certain clump of seaweed that the spot was next to.

Imagine his horror, the next morning, when he realized the high tide had re-arranged all the seaweed piles on the beach. Doh ! Being from the mid-west, he just wasn't aware of this .

The background story was that he was a newly-wed. Had only been married for scarcely a month. As soon as him and his bride returned from their honey-moon, and as soon as he'd returned to work, his boss announced to him that he had to take a business trip to Monterey, CA to meet a client for business. He went home and told his new wife that he had to be gone a few days for this business trip.

At first, she was excited. Because she knew that their company policy was to let spouses go along on these mandatory trips, all expenses paid by the company. So she was thinking "yippee, we get to go on a 2nd honeymoon, see the beach and the tourist spots, blah blah". But the husband dissuaded her by telling her that "It's going to be all work work work. No time for fooling around. So you really don't want to go". Thus she reluctantly agreed to stay home :(

After he and his coworker flew into Monterey, CA, and had the first day of meetings with their client, they went to check into their hotel room, right on the beach. And immediately progressed to go clowning around on the beach in front of the hotel. That was when he lost his ring.

He looked up in the phone book of where he could rent a detector. But .... couldn't find it. That was when I got the call. He explained that he was dog-meat if he didn't find the ring, since .... after all,... if he had to explain to his wife that he'd been out on the beach tossing frisbees and nerf balls, she would ... of course ... say "Wait ? I thought this was a strictly business trip !"

By this time, a few days tides had come & gone, so ..... all he had was a rough idea of where the ring had landed.

Continued in part II

part II :

Within 20 minutes, I had found the ring. The fellow asked: "how much do I owe you? " I said "whatever tip you think is fair". But he persisted in knowing a dollar point. So I turned to point at the hotel in front of us , and said:

"My 1 yr. anniversary is next weekend. So how about you put us up for a night in the hotel, for a romantic getaway ?" Because I knew that room rates (assuming non-ocean views) were about $150-ish, as that time, @ off-season.

The fellow marched me into the lobby, pulled out his company credit card, and told the clerk "Room for two for this guy". And he promptly left, d/t he had a flight to catch back to the mid-west.

I made the reservation info (name, date, etc....) with the lobby clerk. Then went home and told my wife "Guess what we're doing for our upcoming anniversary?"

The following weekend, we packed our night-bags, and showed up to get our room . The plan was going to be to : check in, then go to nearby Monterey to get a romantic dinner. And then return to our room. As we checked in, the clerk said " That will be an ocean view room ". To which I tried to correct him and tell him that we had one of the cheaper street-side-facing rooms. He checked his records and told me that the room had been upgraded to ocean-facing. We got a good chuckle out of that, figuring the guy had added this extra tip.

As we turned to leave the front desk, the clerk then said : "oh, and I see you have dinner-for-two at the restaurant on the top floor". I corrected him and said that was not a part of the reservation. But ... as he studied the paperwork, said that someone had phoned in to add that . So again, we got a good chuckle out of that. Figuring that now we knew where we were going for dinner that night.

We sat down and ordered or meals and drinks. A few minutes later the waiter returned to our table with a bottle of champaign in an ice-bucket, with 2 glasses. We told him "sorry, you must have the wrong table. We didn't order that". The waiter checked his steno-pad list, and said "Someone added it on, for this table, at such & such time". We realized that the fellow had ordered this for us as well !

Our wine-menu list was still at the table. So out of curiosity I looked up the particular bottle of champaign . Turns out it was the highest-price on this swanky menu ($100-ish ?) We did the math on all the upgrades the fellow had given us, and it amounted to multiple 100s. All for a 20 min. search.

Ok, does that compete with scuba-detectors ? haha

Tom, Love your posts and your insight. No need to compete. This is one great story though. I even think about you when people ask for legal advice like the guy from Michigan. I was thinking about telling him to ask Tom how I know Michigan laws. LOL Glad you are here to help others

Thanks for sharing this awesome story. I thought it was over with the room payment. But to get an upgrade, and then dinner, and then wine!?!?!? What a cool cat you worked with, definitely a win-win. Makes me want to pay more things forward to those who do something good in the world.

You may have very well saved the gentleman's marriage. He would have been in the deep dark !!!! had he gone home without that ring. New brides can imagine all kinds of things happening. Good Job on the recovery and the reward was well deserved.

Now THAT is gratitude! Way to go! JUST WOW!! How much do you think his wedding ring was worth?

Now THAT is gratitude! Way to go! JUST WOW!! How much do you think his wedding ring was worth?

As I recall, it was just a plain heavy Platinum men's ring/band. So what would those go for in the jewelry store ? $900 ? to $1,100 -ish?

As I recall, it was just a plain heavy Platinum men's ring/band. So what would those go for in the jewelry store ? $900 ? to $1,100 -ish?

Probably, depending where he shopped maybe 3k or more LOL but still, goes to show the sentiment behind things. Two thumbs up to you and him!

Back
Top Bottom