Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

Default Cleaning old military buttons?

I have a couple buttons I dug up and was wondering what's the best Way to clean them? I used a toothbrush to clean up some of the loose dirt but is there a way to bring back the natural shine to them? Thanks

Rings 26. Gold Rings:1. Silver Rings:11

Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Elite Member

Im not sure about getting back natural shine....however on brass buttons I use a moist Q-tip and get off most surface dirt. For example...Ill leave this one the way it is for now and use remaining dirt to highlight detail
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

There’s all kinds of ways to ruin them but cleaning there’s a few depending if there is gilt still on them and etc

Let’s see pictures of them as they are now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeCbm3RkzvKcudSQD79O0PA

Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Cleaning a Gilded 1850's Button

I use a very soft brush with warm water and very small amount of dishwashing liquid and gently wash them. I've attached a circa 1850's civilian button I recently found.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

Welll……..depends on how far you want to go with it. I use acid and abrasive scratch pads and anything else that will ruin a good relic

For a couple buttons I've used very fine sandpaper to shine up the high points. The buttons shown here were cool, but to see them you had to really look closely; the looked like just a black button and a green button in my display cabinet. The sanding made them identifiable without sidelight and magnification and all that.

The convex Eagle (A) button was almost unrecognizable without serious sidelight, and then really only one of the wings was visible. After my sanding I can clearly see the whole eagle and even read the backmark. I am happy with how it turned out (not the greatest lighting for a picture). Others might be disgusted with such aggressive cleaning.
Attached Images