How long is a "typical" hunt for you?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I'm generally only out a couple of hours, but that's been mainly due to the weather. Now that it's warmed up, I'm hoping to be out longer and more often, but what about everyone else?

On a "typical" hunt, weather permitting, how long do you stay out?

Seldom more than 2 hours, unless it's a destination hunt. I'm a city park clad stabber hoping for jewelry, I either get bored from no finds or a sore back from too many.

I would say two to 8 hours a week depending if I get a longer hunt in over the weekend.
Getting my coil to the ground a couple times for an hour during the week and a good solid half day on the weekend would be perfect for my therapeutic needs .
🙂
,Dew

Due to health reasons, my body says average 2-3 hours but the inner child in me says 'more more more'. If I go non stop I can last 2 hours but if I break it up into 1 hour hunts with relocating drives, I can do all day.. ;)

And it's weather dependent here as well.. we got SNOW this morning.. again..

If it's a nice day, maybe 6-8 hours and a lunch break thrown in.

Thanks to work, I get maybe one day a week. Gotta make it count!

I'm new as of this season and have mostly just been in my own yard, so most of my hunts have been under an hour. Headed out today to a fresh water beach and hoping to put in a couple hours there.

I'm a beach hunter so it may not apply to you. If beach conditions are good a couple of hours. If sanded in not very long.

Usually 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs a hunt, about 4 or 5 times a week and sometimes 6, so yea, I'm out there most everyday. I figure I'm not getting any younger so I'll get it while I can, besides this is fantastic exercise, keep me in good health, I know eventually I will have to cut down on the hours but just not yet, not for a long, long, long while, I hope:D

When it comes to metal detecting I become a glutton for Punishment. I sometimes push myself to the very limit. Then i wander on home. Depending on the weather i detect for 4 to 8 hours at a time. I try to get out swinging a coil two to three days a week.

At 65 (two months shy of 66) I generally manage about 4 to 6 hours a week, now that I'm within walking distance of a good hunting spot. I have a class online that ends at 1:00 on Saturdays, and then I head over and hunt until around 6:00.
This might seem excessive for one totlot... but the school has SIX!! Not counting four sandboxes! LOTS of ground to cover.
SageGrouse

I get out for two hours on Saturday mornings before going to work and on Sunday I pretty much have to limit my hunts to no more than 4 hours because at age 72:oldguy: I no longer have the stamina I once had. And the 4 hour hunts are broken up by one or two breaks.

I’m a couple notches shy of 50, so I’m not retired - plus I still have two young daughters under 10, so my free time is rarely my own on weekends and outside of school hours. But my work schedule gives me time on weekdays to get out for hunts - sometimes for 30 mins, sometimes for several hours. It varies pretty widely for me. One week I might get out twice for six hours each for 12 hours total hunting, then the following week I might sneak out 5 times, but only get 3 hours hunting time out of it. Some weeks, not at all. Dang reality always getting in the way of hobbies.... :laughing:

Weather is a factor for me, not the cold though, it's the heat. Temps in the 100's and near 100% humidity sucks the energy right out of you.

The longest I ever went straight was 10 hrs...It was a cool overcast day in December a few years back, spitting sleet even...perfect conditions... I was on a business trip and pulled off an interstate exit to gas up, thought I'd stretch my legs, drove down a side street and found a park in a non-descript town...OK, maybe a quick swing to relax...Buddy! I was on the Crab that day! Is this what Heaven is Like I wondered? I still had another 300miles to drive to make the meeting!:laughing:

Yeah, the heat will shut me down fast...perfect temps for a long slog mega hunt is about 40ish, damp and overcast....My typical hunt is less than a few hours and always just at dawn or before Sun-up...

Attachments

• field of dreams.jpg
    field of dreams.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 155
  • field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 158
Back
Top Bottom