Birthday Prezzie for SageGrouse?

SageGrouse

Elite Member
IF I'm lucky!

Yes, on June 7th, four days before my 66th birthday, I'm getting.. EYE SURGERY!

Yay?

Evidently, the artificial lens they put in for my cataract, 15 years ago, is coming loose. it did this once before and they were able to fix it temporarily... but now, the lens capsule is contracting, and the lens is loose. Wiggly vision is NOT too conducive to metal detecting! >.<

SQUICK ALERT! If you're squeamish, don't read until the red line below...

This time, instead of a nice easy laser zap, they are going to have to do three procedures on me...
1. They will have to cut into my eye (the sclera above the iris) and withdraw vitreous fluid (the jelly that keeps the eye round).
2. They will then insert a lens and suture it in place *behind* my iris to keep it from moveing, and then
3. They will stitch that back up and cut tiny slices from the iris of my eye so it will bulge outward and fit the lens curvature.

There. all better. Anyway, once that's done, my eye will take several days, week or month to stabilize and then... THEN... I can get new glasses and hopefully see a bit better than I see now. I'll be able to leave the hospital the day of the surgery (hyay! I hate hospitals) and the bandages will be off by my birthday the 11th! So I'm hoping seriously that things will get better.

THEN I can go back to metal detecting! As it is now, I'm really worried about bending over, stretching, lifting et cetera, so I won't dislodge the lens any further. Wish me luck!
Sage(No, I CAN'T read the top letter)Grouse

Now that is not good. You scare me. I had that surgery too. I hope I don't have trouble like that.
I hope everything goes good for you. We want you back and able to see good again. Take care my friend... KEN :D

I'm very sure it will go well. I have an AMAZING surgeon, it's a complicated, but easy procedure, done frequently and has been used for a long time. Not to mention that the facility it's being done is is a top notch hospital with an excellent track record. I'm just pickin' an' grinnin'!
SageGrouse

Good luck, I have a small cataract, have had it for years and I'm only 36. They think it's from crashing my four wheeler. Apparently hitting your head can cause them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm simultaneously looking forward to, and dreading this procedure. If it works, I'll be getting more usable vision. Still legally blind, but able to see a bit more than I am now.

On the other hand if it fails... *shudder* There's an end to a LOT of stuff! Metal detecting with a scrap of usable vision is one thing. Metal detecting without sight is not something I've really contemplated. I can do almost everything else. I have Braille skills, and cane travel (movbility) skills, and yes, I would go and get another dog. But detecting?... I'd most likely give that up.

The odds ARE with me, though. The procedures are safe, they've been done before many times and complication rats are VERY low. Plus I'm relatively healthy and active for my age. We'll cross any bridges when we get there.
Happy Hunting! I'll be out this afternoon with my machine, enjoying the warmer weather.
SageGrouse

Hope all goes very well with as much improved vision as possible !

Vision is one thing many of us take for granted until we have a problem, so I urge people who spend any amount of time outdoor to use UV blocking glasses to lessen the chance of developing cataracts.

I had a detached retina fixed a long time ago (still holding up great !) and had cataracts removed from each eye at different times, and it made a big difference !

Years ago I had a "blessing in disguise" when a tree branch slightly scratched my eye, that healed up fine, but when they examined me and checked my eye pressure they found out I was in the early stages of Glaucoma, some field of vision had been lost in one eye, but the eye drops I now take keeps my eye pressure normal and prevents any further loss of vision.

I would urge everyone to have their eye pressure checked at least once a year, it could preserve your sight if Glaucoma is caught before it has a chance to do any noticeable damage.

Will Keep you on my prayer list. Getting old sux but it beats the alternative of dying young. I need to get my lenses zapped with the laser to clean the film off them Those replacement lenses do grow something that dims the amount of light . Now if they would only find a cure for macula degeneration. Shoot i do pretty good detecting with one eye that works correctly.

I'll be 67 on June 6. Let me tell you about my colonoscopy when I wound up going to the emergency room. True story.

Life starts getting funny at this age.

Good luck on your surgery , and I hope it proves to be helpful. And I hope your surgeon has steady hands. June 11th is my daughters birthday as well.

Nothing but the Best Wishes for a speedy recovery SageGrouse. I also had a torn retina...12 tares, and the worst my Doc ever saw. Yep sunglasses are a must for me now, due to glare issues that are constant....but I can see, and understand the stress involved with the idea of lost eyesight. In my prayers for a great outcome.

primetime

Back
Top Bottom