how long did it take....

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
So outta curiosity.... How long did it take you before finding anything valuable (I.E. Gold/Silver etc etc). We just got into the hobby a month or so ago and we found a pretty awesome 10k gold ring. Can't even describe how awesome that was to find. Heard the "low tone" and I told my lady "well.... It's either a nickel, a pull tab or it could be gold" with heavy sarcasm on the gold part lol. Sure enough tho..... There it was sticking out of the plug. Bout lost my mind. Anyways, just trying to see how long it took some of you guys to find that "oh wow!" Find.

Welcome aboard!

I started detecting:

4/4/13

5/29/13 - first 925/sterling (silver necklace), 22nd outing
7/30/13 - first silver coin (war nickel)
9/13/13 - first ring (stainless steel)
9/20/13 - silver earring
11/22/13 - first gold ring
12/17/13 - first wheat cent

Some further details:

Golds/925 per year:

2013 - 1/2
2014 - 5/7
2015 - 1/8
2016 - 6/11
2017 - 5/21
2018 - 6/10
2019 - soon/1 :lol:

That's awesome!! I haven't found any silver anything yet, and nickels seem to be the most elusive coin in general lol. I'm anxious for winter to be over so I figured I'd just Hangout here till I can get out again.

Took me 7 years to find my first proper diamond ring. Found one earlier but wasn't as nice. Also took me 10 years to find my first platinum. I've picked up heaps of silver along the way though (rings, necklaces, charms etc). Here's the diamond ring. 18k, with a princess cut diamond and 24 stones.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 327
That's an awesome ring! I bet I'd be smiling ear to ear for the rest of the year lol. I have a couple goals I set for us this year and a ring like that would pretty much beat all of them haha.

Thats What im more excited about than anything! I recently discovered coin collecting as well and MD's kinda go hand in hand with that. I havent found a single silver coin yet.... Gold seems to be kind of a bi product of coinshooting haha I wont get mad at finding a gold ring but we're looking for coins!!! Cant wait till we find our first silver coin!

Thats What im more excited about than anything! I recently discovered coin collecting as well and MD's kinda go hand in hand with that. I havent found a single silver coin yet.... Gold seems to be kind of a bi product of coinshooting haha I wont get mad at finding a gold ring but we're looking for coins!!! Cant wait till we find our first silver coin!

“Gold...by product of coin shooting...” that’s just about what it turns out to be for me,cuz my used up sites are now getting searched for super old nickels,just to see how deep I can find a coin. It sounds like you have a good handle on things so far,but remember...if you want OLD COINS,you have to go where old coins have a reason to be! You’ll get the gist of the entire thing as time goes by,it is the most addictive hobby out there I think,at least of the ones I’ve had!:grin:
Welcome from Wisconsin!

I started detecting this past spring, April found my first silver in June, about 2 months later. It was a standing liberty quarter. And I haven't found a silver quarter since. I then found my first nice silver ring in December, 8 months in. Got a few little silver charms along the way, but nothing big.

I started last April and have found 48 rings (8 gold, 6 with diamonds, 20 or so silvers) and more necklaces, bracelets, pendants, charms, etc. And I'll break 5,800 coins tomorrow.

If I'm a normal person...and I think that I am...the standard noobie trajectory is to dig everything when you start, figure out what is a keeper, then only dig keeper signals for a while. I did that until I hit around 3,000 coins and figured that there had to be more that I'm missing. I found "Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin" on Utoob, which is probably the only motivation that I've found to find more and better things.

For example, I dug a crapton of aluminum fencing wire at sports complexes, and I quit digging 60s signals on my AT Max. Never found any gold rings.

Silver rings are easy. Nobody is ever going to NOT dig a silver ring, because they "look" like a coin. Gold rings, though, look like trash. It is an ironic aspect of MDing.

Since last April, I have dug 48 rings. My best ever, a 14K gold solitaire weighing about 1.8 carats, I found yesterday, after digging a lot of fence wire. This thing rang up as a 64-65 on the AT Max, a typical fencing wire signal,

Attachments

• ring in dirt.jpg
    ring in dirt.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 283
  • ring on dash.jpg
    ring on dash.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 272
Some kids can hit the backyard on Christmas morning with their new detector toy, and hit honker gold. Others struggle through the pulltabs and pennies for long, long times before one day striking an old piece of sterling. It took me a long long time to start finding good stuff now and then. After I took it a little more seriously, and got better, I would always hunt up a couple bucks in change, and occasionally find a cool token or silver dime. Then I joined FMDF here in 2017. My finds skyrocketed to 23 silver coins that year, and a little over $200 in coins, plus a few rings (3 sterling rings I believe), and some other cool stuff. 2018 was my best year yet. I hunted schoolyards, playgrounds, I hunted old curbstrips and parks, and a few yards. Digging 3 to 5 bucks in change was typical, with some hunts finding much more. I was finding old silver coins fairly often too. I really worked hard for gold. I went where rings might be lost, and dug all the penny type signals, and lots of trashy lower tones. I dug more than a dozen rings last year. One was sterling, and three were solid gold! Also ended up with 59 silver coins, and over $350 in clad, and some other cool finds along the way! In my experience, the harder and smarter I worked at it, the better results I got, and the easier it became to be successful. And it became more fun! Wanna be lucky? You gotta get out there and make it happen.
GL & HH!

I'm brand new at this.

Like most of the other posters here, I use my best find to date as my avatar photo.

Still hopeful, though!

2 days. A 40 percent Kennedy half might not be at the top of the treasure list, but it got me hooked. I had found a pocketful of clad and a bucket of trash in my front yard and was ready to be turned loose on the world. My first stop was the vacant lot down the street that has been a shortcut to the minimart for years. Lots of trash but there was a coin every foot along the trail. The pro started dinging like never before and I knew it was treasure only to find a penny, by this time I was sick of pennies, and wondering why that penny sounded so good. Thanks to my youtube and forum training I knew to always check my hole, and sure enough it was still dinging treasure. One more scoop and there it was in the bottom of the hole. Missouri dirt is kind to silver, I think it might even polish them. The sun was hitting it perfectly and the coin was glowing, lighting up the hole. I knew instantly it was treasure and did a little Yukon Cornelius dance and sang "Silver and Gold, Silver and Gold, Everyone wishes for Silver and Gold". I don't know the rest of the words, so it was a short dance, and it was only 50 cents, but it was treasure.

I'm brand new at this.

Like most of the other posters here, I use my best find to date as my avatar photo.

Still hopeful, though!
Did you know that beer can collectors pay good money for old pull tabs?

Jewelry really doesn’t interest me (unless it happens to end up beneath my coil :laughing:) but I did find my first silver, a merc, first day out behind my old elementary school. 750 mercs to go and that old DFX is paid for!

Took me about 2 weeks to get my first silver, 6 months for my first gold and both were with a BH Quicksilver. Was more than enough to get me hooked.

Two years ago I helped a fellow get started detecting and recommended he buy anAce 250 and pinpointer for his first machine.

Two weeks later he went hunting for the second time and THIS was his second target. An 1876 $20 Double Eagle.

I HATE HIM!!! Lol. He has since found a second gold coin.

Attachments

• 5B5EEEDC-5702-439E-B8F3-C411D0A60358.jpg
    5B5EEEDC-5702-439E-B8F3-C411D0A60358.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 243
I started last April and have found 48 rings (8 gold, 6 with diamonds, 20 or so silvers) and more necklaces, bracelets, pendants, charms, etc. And I'll break 5,800 coins tomorrow.

If I'm a normal person...and I think that I am...the standard noobie trajectory is to dig everything when you start, figure out what is a keeper, then only dig keeper signals for a while. I did that until I hit around 3,000 coins and figured that there had to be more that I'm missing. I found "Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin" on Utoob, which is probably the only motivation that I've found to find more and better things.

For example, I dug a crapton of aluminum fencing wire at sports complexes, and I quit digging 60s signals on my AT Max. Never found any gold rings.

Silver rings are easy. Nobody is ever going to NOT dig a silver ring, because they "look" like a coin. Gold rings, though, look like trash. It is an ironic aspect of MDing.

Since last April, I have dug 48 rings. My best ever, a 14K gold solitaire weighing about 1.8 carats, I found yesterday, after digging a lot of fence wire. This thing rang up as a 64-65 on the AT Max, a typical fencing wire signal,

You can always tell a Real diamond like that in the field if it has 6 prongs holding it in.. That ring is Impressive.

Hey C&A! Good on ya for hitting that gold ring so quickly! Thats a good omen, and should light a fire in ya!...Some dedicated hunters can go a long time between really great finds, especially dirt gold, which is the toughest target by far....It might be the ONLY one you ever find, but you got it, so hey....

Gold is no Respector of effort or intelligence, However, She does occasionally reward persistence....Like anything pursuit oriented, you gotta be out and paying attention and rabidly pursuing your target of intent....

Some rewards you get just by simply being there FIRST!...As evidenced by the CoinStar Cowboys or Bill hunters...Viable strategies freely shared here on the Forum that you can incorporate into your advancing skill set that will allow you to maximize and experience the many sub-genres of this unique and addictive Sport!:cheers3:

We are certainly optimists, dreamers, 9th inning down by 3 with the bases loaded kind of people...Welcome to the Team! :laughing:

Attachments

• may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 206
  • sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 214
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 228
Back
Top Bottom