Flat button id SOLVED! Danial O’Connell election

louie088

Elite Member
Hi everyone,
So I’ve had this button really in my mind lately. I found it in the same location that I found a couple other diplomatic buttons from the Jacksonian era. This was one of the ones that has a lot of detail and also has writing on it.
There are three three leaf clovers and says something to the effect of
“O’Connel H. I.” ??
Liked through the whole Alberts book a found nada. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Attachments

• EC282A4A-EC25-4436-BDA9-5203BBE9D859.jpg
    EC282A4A-EC25-4436-BDA9-5203BBE9D859.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 421
  • BE1A0F33-6642-4682-BAB5-E303049DB21A.jpg
    BE1A0F33-6642-4682-BAB5-E303049DB21A.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
I see the text as "O'CONNELL H I"

How big is it? Looks smaller then a dime.

I can not make out the back mark. Can you post the text?

Any clue as to location found? Country? State? city?

Did quick google search on "O'CONNELL H I" and found a few High schools and a clothing store but none have logos matching your button.
It is possibly a school uniform button.

I see the text as "O'CONNELL H I"

How big is it? Looks smaller then a dime.

I can not make out the back mark. Can you post the text?

Any clue as to location found? Country? State? city?

Did quick google search on "O'CONNELL H I" and found a few High schools and a clothing store but none have logos matching your button.
It is possibly a school uniform button.

The button was found in southwestern Pennsylvania at an old home site. Actually am old paper mill.

Update:
Donating the Button to the Daniel O'Connell Museum in Ireland :)
They said:
Over the years examples of this type of item have appeared but it very interesting that one should be unearthed in Pennsylvania! Various buttons and medals were mass produced here in Ireland during Daniel’s career. This is of a type we do not currently have an example of in Derrynane House and it is interesting from an international perspective as some Irish immigrant must have taken it to Pennsylvania.

We would be delighted to accept it as a donation to Derrynane House which is a museum dedicated to Daniel O’Connell and it was also the O’Connell ancestral home.

I'm very happy about being able to save this history and return it to its proper home :)

Why DANIEL O'Connell?

I make out the obverse inscription to read "O'CONNELL. N.I.", and seem to discern "LONDON" along the bottom of the reverse inscription, or "in exergue" as the numismatists say. Even with the triple shamrock motif, just how is this button necessarily related to Daniel O'Connell? Have I missed something conclusive, I wonder?

Even though that furthest corner of County Kerry is just one breathtaking and rugged vista after the next, and I'd like nothing better than to ship myself there right this very minute, before you send that button off to Derrynane House, could we perhaps see a few more shots of the reverse?...maybe rub the inscription with a little a bit of water or oil to better bring it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom