• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Eagle Plate #2

rob_vic

The weather cooperated and I got out and into the woods for a few hours yesterday to dig some bullets, percussion caps, AND my second eagle breast plate! The front is nice and in pretty decent condition; the back has tons of rust and resulting ground action, but most of the solder is still there. Can't wait to get back out and hit the spot again!

Attachments

• 15JUN.jpg
    15JUN.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 636
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 633
WOW you must’ve felt like a million buck. That is incredible I know that people do find them but what it must feel like to take that big eagle out of the ground and know that it’s all yours would take my breath way. Congratulations can you save a beauty.

I’m full of envy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back is about 97% filled, but there is a lot of rust in the middle between hook locations. The plate was dug face down so my guess is that moisture collected on the back and caused the excessive rusting. It is very stubborn, rock hard, and difficult to remove. Not sure if I should soak it, carefully chip away at the corrosion, or what? I'd like to be able to clean it, but do not want to damage the relic.

Attachments

• B22.jpg
    B22.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 586
Very nice plate !! Looks like the iron hooks/loops are still attached under that crusty rust, which is rare these days.

leave it as is.. or get professional restorer. i would leave as is personally. those things can be very fragile as you know. i would put it in proper soft backing hard container. great find.

Back
Top Bottom