Got a new Vaquero!

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
Traded an airgun for a brandnew vaquero from dealer. Always wanted one, however I don't think it'll do anything more than my F70 can do. Just a change of pace I guess. I did try it on my 8" quarter in my packed, mica infested red clay test garden and it hit strongly with a little negative ground balance. This with the 9x8 concentric coil. My F70 will also hit it strongly in slow mode (boost) with the nel hunter coil mounted. Haven't had it on a hunt yet as I haven't had any time, but the next chance I get, I'll take the vaquero...looking forward to it.

Nice NCToad! Your gonna love it. I like the change of pace as you said, I set it below nickle and dig it all at parks. If time is limited I set just past penny to cherry pick. If the site is clean and super-tuned? Look out! It’s crazy deep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice NCToad! Your gonna love it. I like the change of pace as you said, I set it below nickle and dig it all at parks. If time is limited I set just past penny to cherry pick. If the site is clean and super-tuned? Look out! It’s crazy deep!

In my front yard in an area where we used to have a garden, the dirt is nice, dark and fertile. I have a quarter buried at exactly 6". I tested the vaquero on it also and got a good signal with the coil raised 5-6" in the ajr! Tried the f70 and got maybe slightly more, but not much. My compadre with the 8" coil just barely hits it scrubbing the grass and my mojave hit it at about 2" above and that was with a noisy, bad coil. It's on its way back from tesoro with a new coil...looking forward to trying it.

Did you see my video on the Vaquero hitting a 15 inch quarter?
https://youtu.be/QCFGQVw6r4I

Some people didn’t believe me.. one guy pm me and said I was lying!

I’m going to film the entire thing again in Va when I get my go pro and set it up... 15 inch quarter super tuned!

So if you set it up hot and the ground is clean.... and it keeps beeping in the hole discard out??? Keep digging!

Did you see my video on the Vaquero hitting a 15 inch quarter?
https://youtu.be/QCFGQVw6r4I

Some people didn’t believe me.. one guy pm me and said I was lying!

I’m going to film the entire thing again in Va when I get my go pro and set it up... 15 inch quarter super tuned!

So if you set it up hot and the ground is clean.... and it keeps beeping in the hole discard out??? Keep digging!

Yeah, I did see your video...very impressive! You have the widescreen coil right? Oh, and supertuned is just maxed out threshold and sense correct?

Congrats on the new Tesoro! I should plant a test garden, today with my Compadre I was digging iffy signals and finding goodies :?: this hobby always has its mysteries!

I've had one for about a month now. LOVE IT! The discrimination on the Vaquero works very well. Take the time to learn it and you'll find that you can dig it all or use the disc. to "cherry" pick your targets. Last week I pulled a silver spoon ring out of an old school yard that has been hunted hard for years. Very capable machine......have fun!!!

Yeah, I did see your video...very impressive! You have the widescreen coil right? Oh, and supertuned is just maxed out threshold and sense correct?

Yes, how I did it in was find a clean spot and GB then max sens till it chatters than back off slightly.. then I slightly turned the GB knob a quarter turn negative on GB... this is the key. The GB being negative.

I saw no difference in depth with threshold maxed. All the threshold seemed to do maxed was give a “louder” signal.. and you loose pinpoint ability.

When I turned thresh to a faint beep beep it told me it was really deep so I can hunt that way and kinda gauge depth.

I normally hunt with this way.. machine is stable and if iron is minimal or trash is low.. your gonna dig to China!

I’m going to take it and the deus to my Nail City Park soon and compare.
This park had 4 rail road houses on it in 1930ish. It’s terrible beyond words. But I keep finding random items there.

I had hundreds of hours of fun with mine.
Supertuning is ok, I used that technique for awhile but in good soil I never found it all that necessary because this thing is very deep without it...Plus the pinpoint button will still work and you can get a much better idea of depth of targets without it.
Supertuning is turning the threshold up, the sense doesn't come into it but most just turn the sense up to just before the chatter point.
Some say peg the thresh to max but I found the 3:00 area on the thresh works fine, I don't think you gain any advantage by going any higher.

There is also something called Power Balancing that I used that seemed to work well also.
According to Monte there is a slight difference between balancing in all metal, which tends to set it a little into the positive and after if you switch back to disc so this technique corrects for that.
Tesoro believes this sets the machine a bit to negative so they don't recommend it but many do it and have reported good results.

A great machine, a fun machine, a deep machine especially in good dirt.
A great change of pace for me moving between my screen units and any of my Tesoros.

Back
Top Bottom