When posting pictures...

Krom

Elite Member
Sometimes it's not easy to assume the size of what someone is trying to share for a picture to it's viewers, so please... don't make a posted picture into a guessing game. Use something that everyone already knows the size of, as a scale (a ruler, a coin, heck, even a cigarette pack).
Here's a good example:
These are 2 pictures of my very first gold ring find (12" deep):

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 7,700
  • Ring&Penny.jpg
    Ring&Penny.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 7,723
It's always a good idea to make sure the size of a pic is "fitting".' I know how important it is to a poster to get the max out of a pic's eye absorbancy, but pixelation is a factor that we need to memorize. :D
Size is only one factor to consider when posting a picture, too. Clarity comes into focus (obviously) too. Sizmatology helps considerably also... as what's simulated in this string's original post.
BTW... if anyone needs help in posting a picture, I'd be more than happy to help, K? PM or email me what you have to alter. Just let me know and I'll resize, modify, enhance, morph, frame, etc. (sorry. I can't gold plate anything from here. :()

I use one rule of thumb for posting pics...
I always resize pics, setting the dpi to 300 first.
Then, I change the pixel width ... this process works well if your photo editing program will smart size your photos... that means it will automatically change the length of the photo in coordinates to the width you choose.

I use 100 pixels wide for every 1 inch. Works well in the program I use, which is Paint Shop Pro.

Gotta throw this in here;
I picked this up today... sorta thinking about building Snowy (the wife) her "light box" for taking pics of digs, but I had me a different idea when she wanted me to create something that would keep the light focused, enclosed & centered without casting any shadow... and lit up from at least a couple angles.
My first thought was, "why not surround the target with light, instead of just from a couple angles?"
Well...
This adjustable, desktop, clip-on light, I found at the local Lowes store up here in Maine. It's the closest I could find for the idea that I had in mind. I kinda was hoping for something with a bigger circumfrence/diameter, but ya gotta make lemonade when you're dealt lemons, right?
Anyway... this thing had a magnifying glass in it (which I promptly took out for allowance for the telescopic(able) lens of the camera... which isn't really needed, since you can get very close without zooming at all anyway)... but a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's an example of what I got with this "ring light" idea:

Attachments

• Ring Light.jpg
    Ring Light.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6,804
  • Eagle Button.jpg
    Eagle Button.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 6,805
Last edited:
That's a neat set-up Krom.

Can you take a picture of the camera taking a picture of a find? I hope I said that right. In other words I would like to see the rig in action. It's hard to imagine how the subject is being lit. Do you have to hold the camera when taking the pic, or is it mounted in the clip-on light some how?
Thanks,
Christian

ps That thing takes great pictures!

good post Krom

Sizmatology helps considerably also... :()

hey isn't that a religion ?:lol: just playin with ya Krom
but seriously pictures of both sides of an object really helps in identifying it as well (coins , buttons ,relics,ect.) Dan

I wasn't looking for an ID, Dan... just showing what this camera can do, I guess. That's why I didn't double-up on the obverse & reverse.

Christian... yes, you did say that right, but it wouldn't do any good for me to take a picture of me takin' the picture, 'cause what I discribed how/what I did, should cover it. I simply took the magnifying glass out of the "surround" light, lowered the light system to the button on a black background on top of a desk, and got as close as I could (auto-focus allowing) with a Canon - PowerShot - A470.

Last edited:
Oh OK:roll:, At first I thought you were placing your lens inside the area the magnifying glass was, so you wouldn't need to hold the camera.
Thanks

Well, that's exactly what I was doing... holding the camera... and putting the lens right down inside of the "circle" of that light loop... half-hold the picture-taking, snap button 'til it auto-focuses in (and gives me a "GO"), then... "CLICK!" ;)
Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
BTW, Rover... is that you on that board in your avatar?
If so, where were you? Looks like Waiyamaya Bay on the north shore of Oahu.

Hey Krom, I just saw this old post.

I wish that was Waimea Bay. I surfed it many times and I miss it a lot. I would look much smaller on a wave in the Bay. The biggest I surfed the bay was 30 foot faces:wow:

That pic was taken in Nicaruaga this past August. Beautiful country and people.

That makes total sense. That curl is not big enough to be from Waimea. :roll:

Also one more thought here.Not allways a good idea to use a coin as referance.Have just read a post and the poster has compared his find to a ! Cent Euro.Now i know what size that is but how many people from the USA do

Also one more thought here.Not allways a good idea to use a coin as referance.Have just read a post and the poster has compared his find to a ! Cent Euro.Now i know what size that is but how many people from the USA do

I do. I always get stuck with a handful of them when I come back from Europe. :lol:

Good point, Simon... but I try. :D
So what can be used for a scale by any earthling... a TV remote control? :lol:

hi krom,im new to the sight and could use some help to post pic of a find i cant identifie maybe i can just email you a pic of it thanks for any help you can give me, dooy

Back
Top Bottom