Who Wants a Laugh

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I am so busy finding stuff it is hard to come home and post. However I thought I would share a story I think is funny.

I get a call to find a watch in a marina. This watch is a Bretling worth almost 10 grand. I get my gear on and go down and get it. Heavy beautiful watch. It was behind a very fast and beautiful 56 foot Formula express cruiser. He was elated when I got it and he told me why it meant so much to him.

The BACK, not the face, the part against his wrist looked just like the wheels on his Bentley!

I am so busy I am not home much right now. I snagged an I-phone 10 and a drone out of 15' of water in a marina yesterday.

I do have one slight problem I could use advise on. There is a very expensive earring in a marina that my Tiger shark or CZ will not pick up. In fact my Equinox will not hit on it either. But even if it could the marina is over 15' deep. Does anyone think one of those smaller hand held vibradetectors might work? I am thinking about trying my Dual Field but the muck is deep and so are cans. Any way to distinguish a shallower small diamond earring?

I was thinking Dual Field before you mentioned it. Should be pretty easy to tell the difference between a shallow earring and a deep can if that is what you are asking. Don't have a Vibratech but that might not be a bad idea. Maybe a pinpointer would work?

Dude...maybe a fine mesh metal wastebasket like they sell at BedBathandBedamned? they are about the size of a 5gal bucket and have a pretty tight mesh that should capture an earring, and of course every stick and weed and shell too......

Then just start grading across the bottom with it? ..It will be a muddy ZERO vis mess, but hey you are used to that....If the reward is enough and you know right about where it is in a 10'x10' area, that might be the simplest and easiest way to go...?

Get two, so after one fills up, you can stay down and fill the other before you have to come topside to sift through the finds...

Oh BTW, thanks for finding my Watch! I was dinking around with my Props...checking the cotter pins etc..Besides the Bentley, My other car is a BMW!.:laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• sherman1.jpg
    sherman1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 811
Scuba, we were wondering where you'd been. But "busy " is no excuse. Even "busy detecting/diving". It is your DUTY to get to your computer and regale us with your latest exploits, pix, stories, etc.... Sheesk, some people. :laughing:

If the Nox won't pick it up I don't believe it would be worth trying with anything else. The problem with the vibrate probe is the depth on targets is not all that good. Something that small I bet you would have to almost bump into it. My opinion, some things are best left alone unless you just want to go play.

I do have one slight problem I could use advise on. There is a very expensive earring in a marina that my Tiger shark or CZ will not pick up. In fact my Equinox will not hit on it either. But even if it could the marina is over 15' deep. Does anyone think one of those smaller hand held vibradetectors might work?
Any way to distinguish a shallower small diamond earring?

If it is a fresh drop and you think it might be on top how about a big bright underwater Light and shine from an angle and hope to see a sparkle.

A lot of good suggestions.

First it will not be on top. The light silt is over a foot deep. So I light would do me no good. Second I did try my machines on the matching earring. That is how I found out my Tiger Shark, CZ-20 and 21 and my Nox wouldn't pick it up.

A mesh bucket might be the ticket. I am thinking more of a 2' X 5' area.

To give everyone an idea of my days. Today I went on 4 dives. Two pair of prescription glasses a phone and a watch. i pocketed 650.00

Up to 6 inches , this will do the job.
That is what I was thinking too.

...There is a very expensive earring in a marina ...Does anyone think one of those smaller hand held vibradetectors might work?
I used my carrot to find a 1ct stud. On the most sensitive setting, it would ID at 3". I made a grid pattern and then removed 1-2" of gunk and repeated the grid again until I found it.

Its not something easy to do, but it worked. And since you have the area narrowed down. I'd give it a go as long as the reward is worth the time. Keep us posted! :yes:

That is what I was thinking too.

I used my carrot to find a 1ct stud. On the most sensitive setting, it would ID at 3". I made a grid pattern and then removed 1-2" of gunk and repeated the grid again until I found it.

Its not something easy to do, but it worked. And since you have the area narrowed down. I'd give it a go as long as the reward is worth the time. Keep us posted! :yes:

I am 15 - 18 foot deep. Carrot will drown at 10. I already have a dead one. Just got a new one last week

I was thinking Dual Field as well and several here have already mentioned it as well. Guess great minds think alike. The only way I can think of to help discriminate with the DF is the size of the target. A small tight target just might be the earring your looking for.

What's crazy is that you could be charging/making double, triple, quinntiple that amount! But you're a nice guy... and we all know where they finish... :p But seriously, I'm jealous. Making more than most 9-5ers do in a week!

What's crazy is that you could be charging/making double, triple, quinntiple that amount! But you're a nice guy... and we all know where they finish... :p But seriously, I'm jealous. Making more than most 9-5ers do in a week!

Today I was in the water for less than half an hour. Yes I am happy with what I am being paid. If I charged it would start turning into a job instead of fun. I put 1360.00 in the bank today since Monday evening. I just got another call and have to get out in half an hour. Another quick recovery. I have already got it once. An anchor snagged with 100' of rope behind it. Find the rope, follow it to the anchor and dislodge it. Bring the anchor in.

This is a hobby. People are not going to turn their problems into one for me. That is how I feel anyway.

A gold dredge like is used to prospect for gold, would work if its legal. you might need a longer hose. I have a small one set up for this type of recovery.

Back
Top Bottom