Last 2 weeks Civil War river finds and a HUGE surprise yesterday! PIC Heavy

The Wolf

Elite Member
Last week I forgot to post my finds. I got out to the river for the day and dug a few bullets, a nice complete period food jar/bottle, a really old pocket knife, and an 1851 sardine can. The label on the can is made of brass, totally legible, complete and really nice. It's all in French, but it clearly says 1851 inside the circles on each side.

Yesterday my buddy and I got back out to the spot. I ended up with a few more bullets, one of which is a Pickett Country Rifle bullet, my first. Also got 2 nice Eagle buttons with the same back-mark "Scovill Waterbury Mfg Co", and a soldier's ration can. My buddy found a few bullets also, a period whisky bottle, and the score of the year......A Union Cavalry sabre!! It's almost complete, just missing the pommel on the end. :shock: A truly unbelievable find.

Some folks have asked how we recover the relics from underwater. This stuff is really hard to find. Everything is buried in the deep mud in zero visibility murky water. And we use scuba/hookah gear to recover them. We drop to the bottom, and rely on feel and listen for the beeps. It's almost like detecting with your eyes closed.

Thanks for looking, I'll compile all the water relics from this year so far, take some photos and post them later today.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,993
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,199
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,924
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,935
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,964
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,889
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,882
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,884
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,922
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,880
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,904
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,937
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,954
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,913
The sword is so freaking wicked! Love the bottle too, I assume you know when it was made? Just in case 1859-1867 I found one on my property in FL, missing the bottom though

That Sabre is amazing. Eye popping find for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you're digging in brackish water given the barnacles on the bottle? Cool finds. I'm surprised the sabre held together. How do you treat something like that to keep it from crumbling once you retrieve it? Does the sardine can state that it was made in 1851 or could that be the establishment date of the company?

I assume you're digging in brackish water given the barnacles on the bottle? Cool finds. I'm surprised the sabre held together. How do you treat something like that to keep it from crumbling once you retrieve it? Does the sardine can state that it was made in 1851 or could that be the establishment date of the company?

I suppose 1851 could refer to the company est. date also, but it would have to have the packaging date somewhere on the label and there aren't any others on it. I'm not sure, I don't speak French. :lol: But I'm 100% certain it's trash from the CW period.

The water is fresh, but tidal. Just too far inland to be considered brackish.

On the sabre, the blade should hold up through time with a light cleaning and some boiled linseed oil. The brass will tarnish and get dark with age, unless you apply some clear coat to it. The leather on the handle is a bit more of an issue. You have to keep it oiled with a special leather compound. Not sure what its called. It just can't dry out completely.

Awesome finds Wolf, the sword is a dream find for sure sure. Congrats.

Yep, still dreaming of finding mine. My bud took the glory home yesterday. But it was cool watching him come up with it and being there. Thanks DOC

Great Finds, Wolf !!

You mentioned diving a river. Looks like you made great use of that opportunity. Looking forward to meeting you next trip to Petersburg. I think I shared that permission has been secured on the Dinwiddie County property.

Congrats on the great finds !!

The sword is so freaking wicked! Love the bottle too, I assume you know when it was made? Just in case 1859-1867 I found one on my property in FL, missing the bottom though

Thanks! Which bottle are you talking about the clear or the green one?

My God! Absolutely incredible sword......it would be very hard to top a find like that. How deep in the mud was it?

Back
Top Bottom