Finds from an old park.. Possible Spanish silver?

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
My buddy James (DiggerDug) and I were out looking for some new places to hunt and he suggested that we go try an old park that was nearby. We weren't really expecting to find much but after only about 10 minutes of detecting James yells out that he got big silver.. A 1909 Barber half! So after seeing that, I was pretty excited about hunting there. Sure enough, the place was loaded with plenty more silver coins, some jewelry and even a couple of Civil War relics. I ended up with 8 silvers including a sterling ring. James got 8 silvers as well. A fun place to hunt for sure!

Anyway, one of my digs was pretty interesting.. Got a signal in the IHP range on my CTX (12-35) and popped out a thin silver disc about the diameter of a dime. It was paper thin, which explains why it was reading so low. I've found plenty of worn out dimes over the years but none of them looked like this. I think the coin had to be fairly thin to begin with, so maybe it's a Spanish silver? Its worn so bad that I can't find any identifying marks on it, so I guess I'll never know for sure.

Here's a few pics and a video for those who care to watch. You can see me live dig the coin at about 6:03.

Attachments

• halfreal.jpg
    halfreal.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 450
  • BUFF.jpg
    BUFF.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 443
  • MINIBALL.jpg
    MINIBALL.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 457
  • GREATSEALBUTTON.jpg
    GREATSEALBUTTON.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 464
  • collardisc.jpg
    collardisc.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 468
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 431
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 1945merc.jpg
    1945merc.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 430
  • 1952rosie.jpg
    1952rosie.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 437
  • SPOON.jpg
    SPOON.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 1936WASHINGTON.jpg
    1936WASHINGTON.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 424
  • mysilver.jpg
    mysilver.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 437
  • FINDS.jpg
    FINDS.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 420
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Some of James's finds.

Attachments

• jamesbucklefinal.jpg
    jamesbucklefinal.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 444
  • HALF.jpg
    HALF.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 458
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 431
Wowser you guys hit a great old productive park there. I'm jealous of that Barber half. [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Wow 16 silvers between the two of you? Insanity! If you have silver testing acid, put a couple drops on each side of the coin. It might bring out enough details to at least I.D. the coin. Congrats, and good luck on your return trip/trips! :yes:

Wowser you guys hit a great old productive park there. I'm jealous of that Barber half. [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
James was grinning for the rest of the day after he pulled that half. :D

Some great finds there, I love the little toy car congrats. :D
Thanks Mikey! Yeah I like those old Tootsie Toy cars too.

Wow 16 silvers between the two of you? Insanity! If you have silver testing acid, put a couple drops on each side of the coin. It might bring out enough details to at least I.D. the coin. Congrats, and good luck on your return trip/trips! :yes:

Thanks cellr, I'll give that a try. This makes three really old coins I've found this year which I can't get a positive ID on. I got one that I'm 90% sure is a 2 cent piece, then another copper coin that I think is a half cent, and now this one which I think is Spanish silver. All of them are bucket listers for me but I still can't check any of them off the list yet without a positive ID. :/

I really like the buffalo nickel.

What is the approximate diameter on the “button”? That looks like it could be a rimmed “eagle snap”, which was used on early Army web gear, like ammo belts, canteen covers, etc.

I really like the buffalo nickel.

What is the approximate diameter on the “button”? That looks like it could be a rimmed “eagle snap”, which was used on early Army web gear, like ammo belts, canteen covers, etc.

Thanks bud. I'll have to check when I get home. It was definitely an odd size compared to the other ones I've found. Right in between a cuff button and a coat button.

That sounds like the right size, based on your description.

An eagle snap is ~9/16th of an inch.

Here’s one for comparison.

Thanks bud. I'll have to check when I get home. It was definitely an odd size compared to the other ones I've found. Right in between a cuff button and a coat button.

Attachments

• 5ECABD71-AEFA-4BB4-B28B-3A4A91FD7ABA.jpg
    5ECABD71-AEFA-4BB4-B28B-3A4A91FD7ABA.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 305
Back
Top Bottom