First Mercury!

StevenB

Bad weather and a heavy workload at my job have made it impossible to get out and hunt for weeks, but today I took off a couple hours early and hit a curb strip in front of a friend's house a few blocks away. Came up with nothing, but started chatting with the guy across the street and asked if I could search his front yard. He said go for it and the result was 32 cents in clad, one of those asbestos shingle storm anchors, and my first ever Merc, a worn but still pretty 1924D. Front yards in this old neighborhood are definitely where the action is!

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_205733886.jpg
    IMG_20170425_205733886.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 233
I remember the first mercury I dug, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I still get excited when I pull one. Congrats!

Mercs are pretty coins. Congratulations on saving it!

Congrat's on your first merc. Pretty soon mercs will bore you. Then after awhile, barbers will bore you. Next it will be seateds, and so forth. Eventually, you will be bored with any gold coin that has a denomination less than $20 gold ! :cool:

Congrat's on your first merc. Pretty soon mercs will bore you. Then after awhile, barbers will bore you. Next it will be seateds, and so forth. Eventually, you will be bored with any gold coin that has a denomination less than $20 gold ! :cool:
I'll be looking forward to that!

I'll be looking forward to that!

Toms just yankin' yer bacon:lol: While it's true that silver Rosie's can be boring because today's clad still bears that design, Mercs are a really nice deep relief strike and many hunters weren't around when they were in circulation, so we haven't SEEN them every day. Much like all silver coins,besides Rosies, I look at them like tiny works of art, they are just cool to look at! I'm sure your future holds many more great finds...but you'll always remember when and where you found your first Merc!

Yup first Merc was a great day for me as well. I have a happy spot for Injuns tho and the first one I pulled out comes second to my Walker so far. Keep it up and do the research and you'll have many more exciting days to come!

Congrats n the Merc. I remember where my first Mercury was too, On a curbstip. Still neat coins to find. .

Way to go on bringing that Merc up to the air. You're a roaring success right out of the gate. My first Merc came in year 2 and I was thrilled with gratitude. It helps tremendously that you can strike up conversations easily with people too, you will get a lot of permissions that way. Very best of luck to you on every hunt!

mercs are AWESOME!

Hey, great mercury dime!!!

I don't care what anyone says....those mercury dimes still have that
SiLvEr. ThRilL !!!! Even after detecting for over fourty years!
....just the beginning...my friend....keep digging! And yes keep striking up those conversations,,,thats good new site stuff!!!
Congrads..
HH

Back
Top Bottom