Surfside Beach, SC

detectingMO

Forum Supporter
Metal Detecting laws seem pretty strict in SC. The beach seems "ok". Anyone have experience in this area (south of myrtle beach)? Worth the hassle of bringing a detector along for vacation? I'd be casually hunting dry and wet sand. Not in the drink.

All beaches in South Carolina are open to the public. Even the gated communities properties stop at the High water mark. Some of the beaches are difficult to find a way to gain access but you can be there and legally detect.

Stay out of the dunes as the States tries to protect them.

One never knows what kind of conditions you will encounter until you walk out of the beach.

Best thing about metal detecting, is that a bag of trash can be offset with a single find. I've had days I've gone out and found $0.62 and a bag of trash, but included a 14K diamond ring...

Did it again at the same park almost 14 months later. Less than $0.60 in change, but netted that yellow diamond ring in the same hunt.

If there's people sunbathing and playing on a beach, there'll be something worth finding.

And if there's not, I swear you can WILL gold into existence if you want it bad enough. :)

Thanks, I'm not too concerned with finds. Sounds hassle free and fun. I'll be on the beach so access is no issue.

I hunt some of the same areas over and over, ya never know what someone dropped yesterday. I don't get to the beach much, but when I do the detector kills time pleasantly for me. joe

I believe

Surf Side is hard on bike trailers, and no smoking on the beach, i used to vacation in Surf Side , for years , now only Garden City during bike week . As far as detecting goes , a lot of sand movement their, everything is sanded in, take the monster coil & pulse machine down, you might pull something :lol:

I was at Folly Beach this morning Watched the sun come sneaking up out of the ocean By 10am the beach was getting quite crowded. Traffic was backed up in excess of a mile trying to get on the island as I was heading home.

The Tourists are replenishing the beaches in SC. Picked up a few dollars in clad. Got a sterling bracelet and a 14K GF necklace.

Most of what I found was dropped recently as it was for the most part shallow.

It was in the 80's here today so stay hydrated and use sun screen.

Grand Strand Area

Hey,

Come on down.... the water is fine..

Surfside... yup, no smoking, no trailers (bike) (Lots of Trailer parks lol)
and forget your Tents.... no Tents on the beach!

Now.... the fun stuff.

The beaches are great detecting, swing slow, you will miss some targets.
I personally work a smaller area, doing a grid and are more successful that way.

A little farther north, about 3 miles, check out the State park (Myrtle Beach)
Hunt around the 2nd Avenue pier, between 21st and 26th avenue north (MB)
and a little further up, around 70th ave and 76th ave north. FYI, a guy found a Megleadon Tooth while hunting.

Watch the tides, best times to hunt are early AM, before they come out, and after they get sunburned around 6. Another tip..... The lifeguards pull the umbrella rentals up at 5pm.... walk that line for sure... it has paid off for me.

I hope you enjoy your vacation!!

Michael in Myrtle

About 3 years ago I wandered down the beach to the Surfside city limits and saw a No Metal Detecting Past This Point sign. So I turned around.

The next year, I emailed their city tourist board (or something like that) casually asking about detecting on their beach; fully expecting to be told no and then giving them an earful about taking my tourista dollars elsewhere. Instead, I got a prompt email back saying sure no problem, come on down! I went Huh, and asked Are You Sure? She said Absolutely No Problem, I detect all the time myself.

So I'd say that youre good to go! Good Luck!

Surf Side is hard on bike trailers, and no smoking on the beach, i used to vacation in Surf Side , for years , now only Garden City during bike week . As far as detecting goes , a lot of sand movement their, everything is sanded in, take the monster coil & pulse machine down, you might pull something :lol:

Secondary smoke on a beach? The horror:?:

Its not the smoke that they worry about. It is the butts with the filters that the fish and turtles eat thinking it is food.

If the slobs did not leave their trash on the beach there would not be laws prohibiting smoking etc.

Secondary smoke on a beach? The horror:?:

Back
Top Bottom