What coins do you find on 1940 and 1950 houses

2108silver1

What coins have you all found on 1940s 1930s 1950s houses. Ever find indians or barbers or slq ?

You find the usual Rosie’s,mercs, buffs,Washington’s,war nickels, etc. the oldest coin I found hunting a 1930’s house was a 1891 seated dime if your not counting the 1700’s Chinese cash coins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.... Ever find indians or barbers or slq ?

Good question. I live in a city that (like a lot of west coast towns/cities) had immense growth during the mid/late 1930s dust-bowl/depression area, and post WWII "westward HO" era of migration. And thus: scores of homes and parks blt, in the '40s to '50s era.

And ... yes ... you *do* find some IH's, SLQ's , and even (gasp) barbers that were still in circulation during that time .

But, go-figure: these would have been coins that have circulated for 20, 30, or 40 yrs. by then . So ... it stands-to-reason that if you find a key-date SLQ or barber or whatever, it will .... of course ... be worn-to-snot.

So in my way of thinking: If it comes to sheer numismatics, I'd rather be hunting a site where the coins could be "period losses".

If it isn't a key date coin then one silver coin is as good as another. A Washington silver is as good as a SLQ.

I recently sold some rings for melt at a local dealer. While I was there I saw buckets of coins. All just laying on top of each other and treated like what they were.....weight. You can look a coin up and see it goes for whatever. Unless it is a key date..... You will never sell it for more than melt.

Those dated houses will produce silver. That is all that matters.

What coins have you all found on 1940s 1930s 1950s houses. Ever find indians or barbers or slq ?

My house was built in 1989 and there were no previous homes on the property. I found an 1883 Indian head in my yard 8” deep. You could find anything, anywhere at anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in a 1950s neighborhood. I have found A LOT of silver in my neighbors' yards. Mostly war nickels, mercs, Washingtons and hundreds of wheat pennies. I've also found two SLQs and a barber dime.

My girlfriend's house was built in 2006 but I found a large cent in her front yard and a Merc a few feet away from the LC. In the back yard I found a few teens wheats.:lol:

Thank you

Yeahi mostly hunt 1900s houses may start expanding. wish me good vibes today I am going to hunt a 1900s mansion. Been working on this for a year. Hunted 5 permissions 3 hours away yesterday. Came back with 2 what penny's One of those permissions yesterday I wanb return and hunt better when it fall and cooler

Last edited:
Total crapshoot. I have detected yards from the 1930-50's time period and found 2 coins in the whole front yard. Other times yards from the 30's and 40's have produced multiple silvers include Walkers, GW's, Mercs and Silver Rosies. Just depends on what went on there, traffic... kids... parties etc etc. But yes, yards from that time period CAN be really good.

Back
Top Bottom