• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beach guys

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
What do you guys use to reinforce aluminium travel handles for your scoops? I doubt it will last long in my conditions without reinforcement. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Outside diameter of my travel shaft is 1-1/4". Thinking of maybe buying a 1" wood dowel to stick inside? My whole setup is only around 2.4 lbs, so not too worried about the extra weight. Any thoughts? Couldnt find anything on the net, all links brought me to scoop stores :roll:

I haven't given it any thought to be honest...the travel handle I have on my scoop appears to be very strong. Where are you detecting that it would be an issue?

I haven't given it any thought to be honest...the travel handle I have on my scoop appears to be very strong. Where are you detecting that it would be an issue?

Well most of the freshwater spots I hunt are loaded with large rocks, and arent straight sand like you would find at a saltwater beach. I can remember this winter, hunting the ocean after a winter storm, and the rocks being pretty large (at that time I was using captain silver's spare scoop). I have broke a couple wood handles in the past, just trying to avoid getting out there and having it break, and then have someone say they usually reinforce it with something. Maybe they don't? Idk not getting much feedback lol what travel handle did you get if you dont mind my asking?

Well most of the freshwater spots I hunt are loaded with large rocks, and arent straight sand like you would find at a saltwater beach. I can remember this winter, hunting the ocean after a winter storm, and the rocks being pretty large (at that time I was using captain silver's spare scoop). I have broke a couple wood handles in the past, just trying to avoid getting out there and having it break, and then have someone say they usually reinforce it with something. Maybe they don't? Idk not getting much feedback lol what travel handle did you get if you dont mind my asking?

I ordered the Detectnix Scoopal with travel handle from here:

link

I ordered the Detectnix Scoopal with travel handle from here:

link

Thank you for sharing, that's the same one I have, same scoop too. I used it at scarboro beach yesterday for and hour or so, it did very well in straight sand, wet & dry. More worried about my freshwater hunting locations, and will keep this post updated when I do get to try this setup in those spots. Lots of big rocks, and mostly gravel, very little sand.

Thank you for sharing, that's the same one I have, same scoop too. I used it at scarboro beach yesterday for and hour or so, it did very well in straight sand, wet & dry. More worried about my freshwater hunting locations, and will keep this post updated when I do get to try this setup in those spots. Lots of big rocks, and mostly gravel, very little sand.

I'm looking forward to your reviews of using it in fresh water...I haven't done much water/beach hunting...just at the ocean on vacation for a week, and once at a small lake up here. I do love the scoop though. The only complaint on that setup is take down of the handle is tough...at least it was for me (likely due to little bits of sea salt that got in there, making it tighter).

I'm looking forward to your reviews of using it in fresh water...I haven't done much water/beach hunting...just at the ocean on vacation for a week, and once at a small lake up here. I do love the scoop though. The only complaint on that setup is take down of the handle is tough...at least it was for me (likely due to little bits of sea salt that got in there, making it tighter).
I agree, the buttons are tiny, and hard to push all the way in, in order to pull the shaft apart. That could be easily modified though. Drill slightly bigger holes and buy one of those V shaped spring button set ups there. I just bought a motus hand grip for it, and have a 1" wooded dowel that goes right in the bottom section of the handle. I left it free floating, no silicone or anything, in case I wanted to take it out later. Will absolutely keep this post updated, I will be hitting freshwater swimming spots all summer. Trying to change up my usual land hunting this year, my spots on land are slowly drying up. Ill bet the water close to all my land spots will produce nicely though. Good luck out there!

I agree, the buttons are tiny, and hard to push all the way in, in order to pull the shaft apart. That could be easily modified though. Drill slightly bigger holes and buy one of those V shaped spring button set ups there. I just bought a motus hand grip for it, and have a 1" wooded dowel that goes right in the bottom section of the handle. I left it free floating, no silicone or anything, in case I wanted to take it out later. Will absolutely keep this post updated, I will be hitting freshwater swimming spots all summer. Trying to change up my usual land hunting this year, my spots on land are slowly drying up. Ill bet the water close to all my land spots will produce nicely though. Good luck out there!

I never liked travel scoops... its a weak point when prying up a large rock.. when the one I owned snapped I replaced the thick aluminum inner pipe with a steel one... then I bought a normal scoop and gave that travel scoop away..

I never liked travel scoops... its a weak point when prying up a large rock.. when the one I owned snapped I replaced the thick aluminum inner pipe with a steel one... then I bought a normal scoop and gave that travel scoop away..

Thats my fear too, and I can't run the dowel all the way up, because the diameter switches at the inner pipe. I like that steel inner pipe idea though!

What's more expensive the scoop or the travel handle?

You want the cheapest item to fail first to protect the other.

So this will have to be my set up for the time being. Will upgrade in the future if water hunting actually catches on for me. Tried getting into it a few times but not very seriously. Here's what my set up looks like as of right now, just installed the motus hand grip on it. I also like unicorn rain boots, don't judge me :laughing: My next plan is to replace the V clip and get a bigger one with bigger buttons. Will have to drill the holes bigger. I also want to add a stainless tube in the middle of the travel pole VS the aluminum one in there now. I will just have to take it easy on it, probably try to hunt areas with more sand this season.

Attachments

• 0619191415_Film4.jpg
    0619191415_Film4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 308
So this will have to be my set up for the time being. Will upgrade in the future if water hunting actually catches on for me. Tried getting into it a few times but not very seriously. Here's what my set up looks like as of right now, just installed the motus hand grip on it. I also like unicorn rain boots, don't judge me :laughing: My next plan is to replace the V clip and get a bigger one with bigger buttons. Will have to drill the holes bigger. I also want to add a stainless tube in the middle of the travel pole VS the aluminum one in there now. I will just have to take it easy on it, probably try to hunt areas with more sand this season.

Where did you order the Motus?

Where did you order the Motus?

I ordered it from Phil Myers, at Myers metal detectors out of Florida. He's a sponsor here. Very good price IMO, and was at my door in 3 days. It was a snug fit, not sure its made for 1-1/4 aluminum poles, but it fits very nicely. Next ill mess with the button and might wrap the handle in shrink tubing, think I saw a post on here where someone did that, looked pretty good.

Is this what you're talking about ? I use a shelf bracket a U-bolt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom