Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
But you've forgotten one important detail : You're in Connecticut. So you can throw a rock in any direction, and hit an LC. And ... sure , even in modern school yards.
You can also throw a rock in any direction in these schoolyards and hit another guy with a detector !: mder::md er:

Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
But you've forgotten one important detail : You're in Connecticut. So you can throw a rock in any direction, and hit an LC. And ... sure , even in modern school yards.
Tom, donít you know, us east of the Mississippi guys, our kids still use large cents for lunch money!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM

For those that havenít seen my other related post, I did go this weekend. I found a silver earring and a junk ring. I only did a small section because it was too hot. Iíll definitely be going back. Thank you all for your advice.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Supporter

All from elementary schools. Now a lot may have to do with demographics, in we have 2 packing houses, but elementary schools ROCK the jewelry. I've found over 80 rings just from one schools. These are all from the dirt.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Detector View post
All from elementary schools. Now a lot may have to do with demographics, in we have 2 packing houses, but elementary schools ROCK the jewelry. I've found over 80 rings just from one schools. These are all from the dirt.
Thatís some mighty nice finds you got there

Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
Large cents and other old coins are not necessarily from a "show and tell". Many schools were built over what was once farm land. Though the site may give the appearance of being new the dirt is "as old as the hills". This 1808 Large Cent was dug in a school yard in which the school was built in 1991 but years ago was a farm field.
Good points, Diggin'. But in this case, we know this land was always part forest/part prairie, sloping downhill. In the 60's it became a backwoods shooting range. People even pushed old cars down it to shoot at. I shot at 'em at 13 years old. It was closed off till 2008 when much sand was trucked in and built it up and the new school opened in 2009. We are pretty sure some kid dropped it. Wasn't deep at all. Similar thing happened at another school where I found a very shallow 1916 Barber, which was my first post here a few years ago.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

My best finds have come from school play grounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM

In my CT town, we are not allowed to hunt school properties but if you can, the land may have been a old homestead or farm land a hundred or two years ago.