Little Advice from the pro's please :)

beach_Pirate

Hi and thank you for the add to the forum,

So ok, hi detector type people šŸ˜Š, im looking for a little advice if possible please, Im sort of new to the Time travel thingā€”ā€œdetectingā€ I started few years ago with one of those entry level yellow Garret 200 Time Machines and had a few problems with the flux capacitor thing at the end of the stick thing, and to top it all I left it outside for 30 seconds and some zombie stole it, so I really wanted to get back in and I got one of the mine lab go find 66ā€™s for beach detecting and have found that these are for occasional use not a daily driver, and you canā€™t program them your stuck with the set software, so my question is,ā€ I would like to become the time travel lord and go big so if you have any experience with the mine lab 800 equinox , would this be a good machine for beach work, dry and wet,ā€ any advice would be very very helpful as my budget is aprox Ā£900. Thanks in advance šŸ˜Š

Save a few hundred dollars and go the 600. Unless you want to find gold pin heads in the gold fields

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you have the funds, go for the 800. Sure... The 600 will do you just fine and save you some coin. Also, the odds are you will never need or use all the little extras on the 800. But, you will never have to look at your 600 and say, "I should have gotten the 800."

Ty TNTGross the money is not the issue for me, the reason i was looking for advice was i donā€™t want to get a machine that wonā€™t do what i want it to do, and that is to use on beachā€™s wet and dry sand in shallow water, and as you rightly said I donā€™t want to be looking back in 6 months time and thinking I should have got the Deluxe Time machine, so the targets im looking for are rings and coins so any help is good šŸ˜Š

Then stop procrastinating and wasting time. Get the 800. Is it perfect? No. No detector is. But, it pretty much does everything a person can reasonably want or expect out of a hobby detector and then some.

I have had four detectors since starting this hobby, so I have not had that many. But with each one, I said, "I should have gotten the other one."

I have had the 800 for about a year and love it. I have had no regrets nor been tempted by any other detector since.

If your not gold prospecting the 600 is perfect and will be more than capable of finding rings and such on the beach or wherever. Plenty of settings and also saves your settings. It has the same size coil as the 800 and will go just as deep.

The beach modes are identical between the Nox 600 and 800. There are IMO big advantages to the 800 that allows you to set you break points to your needs. If money is not an issue go with the 800.

With all the extras that come with the 800, software wise, wireless headphones etc. and if money is no object then the 800 would be a great choice. Good luck!

If you plan to buy Nox compatible waterproof headphones, a waterproof handheld pinpointer, a decent scoop and other beach gear, or additional coils, the people recommending the 600 vs the 800 are giving you sound advice.

The 600 would be a great beach detector. The five fixed preset tone breaks on the 600 are good for most jewelry recognition. I don't know how they would be for your coins. Here in the US, two of the five tone breaks split the zinc 1 cent and 25 cent coins. It actually helps me recognize them easier using 5 tone audio. If you use 2 tones like a lot of beach hunters the tone break is adjustable on the 600. In 50 tones there is no difference.

The Go Find 66 is a decent occasional use detector with older tech in a newer housing that has pretty slow recovery speed and poor target separation. The Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 are from another much faster universe in comparison.

Jeff

First, I am not a pro, but i do have hundreds and hundreds of hours detecting in the water.
If money is not an issue for you get an Excal II. I had one for many years, treated me to lots of gold and is now beyond repair so I bought an equinox 800 to keep me going until i can afford another excal.
Does the equinox find things deep, yes. However, it LOVES bottlecaps, and even trying running in all metal to see if the target goes from positive to a negative number it is wrong probably half the time. That's ALOT of digging on bad targets over a few hour hunt. Granted, i had alot of hours on my excal, but i had no problem ID'ing a rusty bottlecap so i did not have to waste time digging them.
The audio on the excal was far better than the equinox, and audio is the biggest factor for me. When you are in chest deep in cloudy water you can not keep picking up the machine to the surface to see what the screen has for a reading. Audio on the excal you could listen for the low tones and hear the difference between stainless steel and gold, equinox will just give you a number and you have to dig and see...

If you don't have a pinpointer (I suggest the Garrett Carrot) then make sure you budget for it.

I had the choice between the 600 and 800 (the wife gave me permission to get whatever I wanted). I went with the 800 because I didn't want to ever regret it.

If I had to do it over again.....Excal for the beach. The Equinox has too many quirks. Bottle caps are evil. The Excal is heavy and needs modded with a better shaft, but the Equinox is poor balance and needs modded with a shaft.

The 600 is all you need for beach hunting. Use the difference from the 800 for waterproof headphones. No pinpointers for the beach needed.

i would like to thank all of you who have given constructive suggestions,

its so nice to have a forum where it's a positive interaction, So after a lot of internet searching and watching video's i have decided on your recommendationā€™s that it's going to be the minelab 800, and 10inch sand scoop ordered and on its way, and i feel that it will suit my time travelling need's, as for bottle cap's am i the only person in the world who thinksā€™ they are ace !! "NOT EVIL" lol it's one of the hardest things to date and there are so many from time gone by, oh also am i being picky it's an Ā£879. machine and it donā€™t come with a bag ""ā€¦ā€¦

so again thank you all for your input you have been very helpful ty,

Then Beach Pirate šŸ˜Š

If you have the funds, go for the 800. Sure... The 600 will do you just fine and save you some coin. Also, the odds are you will never need or use all the little extras on the 800. But, you will never have to look at your 600 and say, "I should have gotten the 800."

Very true, You can call a dealer on this forum, ask for a lower price on a detector like the Equinox and they will give you a decent discount like $100.00 off!

Back
Top Bottom