• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

At pro do you dig all that foil??? lowest jewelry ID?

Hrisch92

Do you guys dig all your foil signals or do you have a cut off?? I’ve been considering not digging if I can’t get fairly consistant ID of above like 45. But I don’t want to miss any jewelry lol. I dig a lot that stay right around there but mostly lower and just ping in now and then at a higher number but it is always so much gum wrappers, candy wrappers and many other foil items. When I switch directions it’s usually stronger or weak to gone almost completely then I’m like I know that’s foil but I dig anyway. Thanks for any input 👍

I dig everything until I am in pain, then I will disc out stuff below 50 and between 60-75.
I have found gold rings as low as 40.
The only real difference I have found between foil and gold is that the rings will be a more "steady" solid tone:yes:

Depends on where i am and how I'm feeling. I usually start out digging good repeatable 40s signals. I've only dug one gold ring this year, but it made all those excavated foil wrappers worth the time. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between a gum wrapper and a small gold ring. If I'm feeling lucky or something about the signal sounds good, I'll dig it. I anticipate every low tone to be gold. That way when it happens... I can say "I KNEW that sounded like a good ring" haha. Those who find a lot of gold in the dirt either have a method to detect areas that increase their odds (Skippy) or those who dig A LOT of foil and pull tabs.

It depends on where i am hunting, Civil War site I dig all the low tones; and some iron :grin: When i'm seeing pie plate fragments all around I may pass some up. But you know I'm building an aluminum smelter, and my plan is to turn them all into ingots for cash! Or casting...

I'm still new at this so I still dig up everything that pings.. my first gold ring showed up as a pull tab so even though I have a huge collection of pull tabs, someday another gold ring will show up ;)

I mainly hunt water. gold tones hammer harder than foil. I still dig it all. if I don't and get skunked, I have the what ifs all night thinking about it.

I was hunting an old sawmill ghost town with and Equinox last weekend. I had a signal that the ID showed '16'. Just about the only things I've ever dug that rang up as 16 were beaver tail pulltabs. Nothing good has ever come from a '16'! If I had been in a park I would have ignored it. But being in an area where there were no pulltabs and every signal was something at least 75 years old, I dug it. It was a sawmill pay token from the 1920s. So yeah, it depends on where I am detecting. In an old ballpark there's no way I could ever dig every '16', but in a yard or in an old field - yep. I used to say that it depends on the depth. If it showed shallow depth, I didn't dig it if it was a low number, but I'd dig it if it showed deeper than 4". But in the last few weeks using the Equinox I've been chasing some pulltabs as deep as 9". How they heck they got that deep, who knows.

The AtPro will hit gold rings like a Train! No matter how small...I found a little 14k babies ring that weighed POINT 4 of a gram! It was in the TID 40's...hit hard and solid...

I also hit a 15gr 10k Gold Chain that came in at 38...not a solid signal...Funny thing is I had disc set at 40, Iron Audio OFF ...and that weak signal bled through at 38...so I was curious enough to give it a scoop....Hope this helps...GL and HH!

The AtPro will hit gold rings like a Train! No matter how small...I found a little 14k babies ring that weighed POINT 4 of a gram! It was in the TID 40's...hit hard and solid...

I also hit a 15gr 10k Gold Chain that came in at 38...not a solid signal...Funny thing is I had disc set at 40, Iron Audio OFF ...and that weak signal bled through at 38...so I was curious enough to give it a scoop....Hope this helps...GL and HH!

Wow lot of good info here thank you everyone for all the input. On the tiny ring that is impressive how deep was it?

Foil

I use an AT Pro also. I usually can tell if it's foil but as was said on here, if the sound is a good solid hit around 40 I dig it. Yes, I do get fooled like we all do sometimes. I rarely dig anything below 40. I run my AT Pro in Pro/Zero mode two notches below full sensitivity. Works for me with the Garrett 8x6 " coil.
Anybody want some snow? I am getting lots right now.
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, Garrett 8 " x 6 " Coil

When I was starting out years ago with guys who were using tone-only machines (mostly F-60s or 65s, I think) I remember them saying 'that sounds round', and I'd wonder what the heck does 'round' sound like??? After I used my machine (a Compass XP-Pro at the time) for lots of hunt hours, I figured out what they meant. After a while you can tell by the quality of the sound whether that thing is good or not, or at least have an indication. Every machine is different, though. I'm learning that Equinox now and as yet I haven't figured out how to distinguish between a good target and a Corona bottle cap (why just Corona? I don't know), except that Coronas are usually very close to the surface. I'm sure I'll figure out the sound difference after I dig a few more, or learn to adjust the iron bias right, or something.

When I was starting out years ago with guys who were using tone-only machines (mostly F-60s or 65s, I think) I remember them saying 'that sounds round', and I'd wonder what the heck does 'round' sound like??? After I used my machine (a Compass XP-Pro at the time) for lots of hunt hours, I figured out what they meant. After a while you can tell by the quality of the sound whether that thing is good or not, or at least have an indication. Every machine is different, though. I'm learning that Equinox now and as yet I haven't figured out how to distinguish between a good target and a Corona bottle cap (why just Corona? I don't know), except that Coronas are usually very close to the surface. I'm sure I'll figure out the sound difference after I dig a few more, or learn to adjust the iron bias right, or something.

Yes us people more to the Left Coast have to deal with the dreaded Coronas

every time I come across one I tell myself.. that is either a Corona or a Quarter.. 9 out of 10 it is Corona.. (my Nemesis)

I dig everything until I am in pain, then I will disc out stuff below 50 and between 60-75.
The only real difference I have found between foil and gold is that the rings will be a more "steady" solid tone:yes:
Yep this is where I'm at as well. Lately the pain shows up a little sooner than it used to.:lol:

Really good info on this thread for us ATP users...:grin: When I'm hunting in my local park, yet to find a ring, I dig all the solid 40's and solid lower tones but it's usually foil of some sort. Very disappointing...:( Problem with my park is there is so much trash just under the surface. It is almost impossible to swing my coil without getting some kind of tone....

I'm a dirt pirate. The lowest reading I got for gold with my at pro was 44 (Gold grill). I dig every solid signal 44 and up. Lots of foil, sometimes gold.

I use the ATPro and dig every repeatable signal even if it is in the low 40's. If you are not finding foil and nickels then you are missing the gold. my only two gold finds rang in at a solid 53 which everyone who uses the ATP knows is the pull tab, and a solid 49. I know gold reads lower than silver so if I am out and about, those low numbers and tones are music to my ears!!!!

Really??? I found my 6.5 gr 22K gold ring solid 60/61 at 2" and another Gold ring at 67/68... I'll ignore "zinkies" once I start getting sore, Really sore and i"ll ignore all pennies.

I dig any solid signal from 40 to 100 with my ATP. I found gold at 47, 48, 53 61 and 68. Also, silver in the 60s, 70s and 80 ranges. So digging all zincoln and copper penny signals pay off also. Just dig it all til you can dig no more!

Really??? I found my 6.5 gr 22K gold ring solid 60/61 at 2" and another Gold ring at 67/68... I'll ignore "zinkies" once I start getting sore, Really sore and i"ll ignore all pennies.

Well, I guess this only applies to some areas.
I have spent so much time in certain areas, i know that all 60-70 are trash.

Back
Top Bottom