Question for Simplex owners

mdscntst

I am new both to the hobby and the machine, so hoping to hear from folks that have run with the Simplex for a while now.

Do you notch anything out, and if so, what/when?

So far I have only hunted rather trashy public areas (schools, ball field sidelines), and found that notching out 0-15 felt like a more productive use of my rather limited detecting time. Hitting on lots of clad coins and occasional junky jewelry, and of course obligatory pull tabs and can slaw, but wondering if I'm missing anything under 15.

What has been your experience?

I'm no Simplex master, but I have a few hours on it.

It depends a lot on what you hunt, your location, and your style of hunting. When I'm hunting gold in tot lots and school playgrounds, I use Park 2, notch out the first VDI block (00-05), and Iron audio at 1. Swing low & slow.

If I'm hunting coins in parks & private property, I run Park 1, notch out the first 10 VDI blocks up to a VDI of 50, Iron Audio at 0. I am a very selective hunter so this setting almost assures me finding only coins.

For relics, I just use my same tot lot settings.

I haven't had mine long either but I have tried it with no discrimination for a while and also tried it with 0-20 notched out. I am really only looking for coins in the areas that I have hunted so far and am not worried about relics so much. I think I am doing better with the 0-20 notched out. The areas are pretty trashy with lots of nails so if its not notched out the machine will be making noise non stop. Maybe I am missing something but I don't know about it so it will be ok I guess. I haven't been able to go in a while though due to covid running its course through my family and extended family. Hopefully will be back at it soon.

I am new both to the hobby and the machine, so hoping to hear from folks that have run with the Simplex for a while now.

Do you notch anything out, and if so, what/when?

So far I have only hunted rather trashy public areas (schools, ball field sidelines), and found that notching out 0-15 felt like a more productive use of my rather limited detecting time. Hitting on lots of clad coins and occasional junky jewelry, and of course obligatory pull tabs and can slaw, but wondering if I'm missing anything under 15.

What has been your experience?

Welcome to the forum and to this really great and sometimes very productive hobby....(most days I actually can pay myself for walking my dog who always goes with me with his leash clipped onto my finds pouch if the weather is good)

Notching out 0 to 10 for most modern sites is perfectly okay if you are trying to avoid iron and ground noise and low frequency EMI. Notching out 0 to 15 is probably okay too. Most of the iron targets I find are registering in the 0 to 8 range with some occasional numbers popping up into the mid teens. Some of them can "false" a bit in the upper 80s to 90s depending on their size

USA modern nickels, Buffalos and V nickels give me numbers around 28 to 31 which is also where many 10K to 14K rings register along with some pull tabs and can slaw. Some women's 10K rings are registering in the 22 to 26 range where I detect. So, the only things you might miss by notching up to 15 are tiny gold targets like jump rings, clasps or chain sections, gold targets with small profiles like thin gold chains, really small earrings and earring posts or damaged/cracked gold rings.

Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom