• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help me skip digging nails pls

Pinch1Off

I am very new. Only had a handful of opportunities to detect other than my yard. I have a Vanquish 540. I watch lots of youtube detecting channels and I have a question. I am wondering if you are say, detecting in a field or park, do you only dig on strong sounding tones? What is the criteria for digging for you? I turn off the iron but I'm only finding nail after nail! I can't yet get a clearer picture of what I should probably be walking past and not digging, as an excited newbie I dug everything but the name and pull tabs no longer excite me🙄 How do you decide what you dig? Thanks

Last edited:
That mainly comes with experience. Knowing your detector inside and out is 1st. Location probably 2nd. Keep in mind though : if you're not digging some trash , you're not digging treasure.

I agree with KOB. It comes with experience. I started this March with a Vanquish 540. It wasn't till June that I finally started getting somewhat good at skipping nails and being able to determine a good signal. (I still dig some though.) I'm still learning at this point. I have about 350-400 hours in the field with my detector and am still a newby in a lot of ways.

Keep at it. The learning curve is llloooonnnnggg. But have fun while you're doing it!

Take some of those nail some pull tabs and whatever metal trash you have around with some clad coins. Throw them down and go over it with out looking at it. When you find something try to tell what it is with out looking. That’s how I learned. Good luck!

I recently just upgraded to a Vanquish 540 as well. Awesome choice. It's a great machine. Make sure to utilize that all metal button when detecting in a trashy park. I'll get a signal sometimes that sounds super promising. A nice high tone that sounds like angels singing. If you hit the all metal button (the horseshoe) you can verify if that signal is real or just rusty piece of iron. If the angelic high tones are mixed with the low bass tones of iron, chances are it's a rusty nail. Low bass tones are great when listening to Sir-Mix-A-Lot but not when metal detecting. Pass that target up and move on to those stronger, non-iron tones.

UNLESS...you're going after iron relics. Then just dig everything.

Does this help at all? It's Friday and I've had a martini. Or 3.

I recently just upgraded to a Vanquish 540 as well. Awesome choice. It's a great machine. Make sure to utilize that all metal button when detecting in a trashy park. I'll get a signal sometimes that sounds super promising. A nice high tone that sounds like angels singing. If you hit the all metal button (the horseshoe) you can verify if that signal is real or just rusty piece of iron. If the angelic high tones are mixed with the low bass tones of iron, chances are it's a rusty nail. Low bass tones are great when listening to Sir-Mix-A-Lot but not when metal detecting. Pass that target up and move on to those stronger, non-iron tones.

UNLESS...you're going after iron relics. Then just dig everything.

Does this help at all? It's Friday and I've had a martini. Or 3.

so you like big butts ? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45C933510F508A01533045C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE but the lady in the black dress

Pinch I have been in the hobby for 6 years, using an Equinox 800 for the last 3 1/2. I still dig rusty nails. Mostly by choice because of the what if ? or it could be factor. And on occasion it pays off but at the end of most hunts I have more than my share of rusty iron.
That said one thing to remember, a good target does not move, if you get a good tone in one direction, remember that exact spot under the sweet spot of your coil, turn 90 degrees and swing, if you have to move around or chase it to get a high tone more than likely junk. You can also engage the horeshoe button, grunting and minus numbers also a good indication of junk. But keep in mind, (my curse ) if I get a good tone in with the grunt I usually dig it. One thing I will say in most instances if in all metal a non ferrous target will completely override the iron sounds. One more thing I use to try to expose a rusty nail. I will do a wiggle back on the target. If as soon as you start your wiggle back you lose tone and or tone with numbers dropping substantially its junk. A good target, tone will follow you on the wiggle back to the edge of the coil. And if it does, even if you are only getting good tone and #s in one direction, dig it. Rusty iron frustrates most mdr's unless they just cherry pick the good clean signals but in amongst the iron lay many good targets too. Every signal is unique due too so many different factors so digging them is the only real way to train your ear and after awhile you will know when to dig and when to pass. I hope this helps a little. Good luck, Mark

Some good advice on here for sure. I’m not totally familiar with the vanquish but I use an equinox 800. I always listen to everything and discriminate nothing. My experience has been with iron audio on even if it’s a good signal but there is some iron scratches to it, it’s probably iron, although still some bent nails will fool you. Also if you can make yourself a test bed to practice on. Bury some stuff at a few inches deep and start to learn the sounds from different directions. There is definitely a learning curve to any detector but that’s half the fun. The only way to master any machine is to keep using it. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom